Everything About Cheese
I think we all know about cheese very well. Cheese is one of the products produced from milk or milk based products. We can easily find various cheeses in the world wide with different flavors, textures, and forms. Based on the basic ingredients, the cheese can be made from cow's milk, buffalo, sheep and goats. While the texture of the cheese is classified into two types, namely young cheese or soft cheese, with a water content of 36-40% and old cheese or hard cheese with water yield about 25-36%. Cheese itself is a food produced by separating the solids in the milk through a process of thickening or coagulation. From milk can be produced various type of cheese products. The process is done with the help of bacteria or a specific enzyme called rennet. That’s why we can find various type of cheese determined from the type of cheese milk, temperature, drying, coagulation method, heating, method of cutting, and also the process of cheese preservation and ripening. I’ll describe various type of cheese below. Please, continue to read…
Various type of cheese
- Camembert. This is a soft cheese from France. It was first made in the 18th century in the Normandy village. Comembert was made from cow's milk, the texture is very soft with a creamy yellow color. This cheese contains fat between 45% - 50%. This cheese is also delicious for omelette, pancakes or an apple pie.
- Ricotta. This cheese came from Italy. It’s a soft cheese. It has high fat content, reaching about 65%. Ricotta is great combination between savory flavors and good fragrance. It's suitable combined with Italian pasta dishes like lasagna and spaghetti.
- Brie. It’s a soft cheese from France. The characteristic of this cheese is the white at outer skin and soft melt in the inside. With sharp aroma and high fat content about 45%. Brie is very suitable for mixed salad, or eaten with olive fruit and pickle.
- Cream Cheese. We can find two kinds of cream cheese in the market. Double cream cheese is the first choice with 65% fat content. The second choice is cream cheese with 45% fat content. It’s contrast with other types of cheese, cream cheese has a slightly sour taste. This cheese is generally used in desserts, such as cheese cake, as the content of pies, or eaten with pieces of fruit.
- Mozzarella. Mozzarella is an Italian cheese originally from buffalo milk. It’s kind of soft cheese with a fat content between 40-50%. Mozzarella will melt when baked, is perfect for pizza toppings.
- Edam (Dutch Edammer). This cheese is come from Netherland. It has hard texture with aroma like a nut. This cheese has fat content about 40%. The differences with other cheese are wrapped with kind of red wax. Edam is suitable for cookies or sprinkles on a variety of grilled dishes.
- Parmesan. It’s a type of hard cheese from Parma city, Italy. It’s generally cylindrical with a light yellow color. It has hard texture, suitable for grated cheese. This cheese has fat content about 61%. The smell of Parmesan cheese is fairly sharply, because of long process between 14 months to 4 years. This cheese is perfect for pizza topping, soup, and processed become various pastas.
- Cheddar. This cheese came from England's and most widely consumed throughout the world. This cheese is so delicious with the scent is not too sharp. Cheddar is suitable for any cooking, like: casseroles, soup, sandwiches and salads taste better with the addition of this cheese. Cheddar contains 48% fat with a curing period of 9-24 months.
- Emmenthal. It’s a type of hard cheese come from Switzerland. This cheese is quite popular. Emmenthal has different characteristics from other cheeses, a unique shape because of the holes are formed during the fermentation process. The cheese is much preferred because of the soft taste and the aroma as well.
- Another type of cheese are Raclette, Gruyere, Gouda, Feta, Stilton, Roquefort, Gorgonzola, Mascarpone, Roquefort, Tetilla, Weisslacker, Limburger, Liederkranz, etc.
The making process of cheese
The history of Cheese
Most people suspect that the cheese was first made in the Middle East region. There also are convinced that the cheese has been enjoyed by the Sumerians in Mesopotamia some years BC. A picture of goddess worship in the Ninchursag building shows that at the time the cheese has been produced.
While the Greek legend says that the cheese was invented by Aristaeus, son of the god Apollo and Cyrene. The archaeologists found evidence of the emergence of cheese in 8000 BC. Various references to cheese also appeared in Ancient Greek and Roman mythology.
At the time of the Roman Empire, cheese began to be expanded with the skills and high knowledge. They have found various ways of making and maturation, so they invented more types and varied of cheese. In the Middle Ages, the cheese has been developed in the monastery. Many types of cheese that we know today came from the monks.
Cheese and Cuisine
The slices of cheese like Cheddar in dice shape served with green salad, tomatoes, and other materials. There is another typical Mediterranean salad, with slices of mozzarella, tomato, basil and olive (olive) presented with a dressing of olive oil and vinegar. Cheese can also be cooked as a topping on schotel or gratin. It can be used as a friend to eat pasta. Sometimes people are grilling steak or vegetables with cheese on it, only about 10 minutes so the cheese melts. As the contents of the pie, cheese with vegetables be a good option to reduce meat consumption. Blue cheese often made as salad dressing. Even Swiss people like to make soup from cheese. We can find cakes and desserts made by cheese, we know the cheesecake made from cream cheese. Or sweet tiramisu with a coffee flavorful made from Mascarpone. The Italians also used Ricotta make cakes.
Cheese Tok Bok Ki, another version of macaroni and cheese
Bacon Macaroni and Cheese
Tomato Soup Grilled Cheese
Grilled cheese with mushroom sauce and burger
Fact about cheese
- USA is the largest of cheese producers. In 2006, the United States provided nearly 30 percent of the cheese product. It’s about four million metric tons of total production.
- The luxurious cheese came from Sweden. This cheese made by three types of deer, namely Gullan, Haelga and Juna which lived in a small farm in Bjursholm, Sweden. The workers have to work more than two hours to get the milk from these deers. The most interesting is the production of milk only in certain months each year. About 0.5 kilograms of this cheese is worth $500.
- France wasn’t the biggest cheese consumer in the world. According to a recent survey in 2009, Greece is the world's largest consumers of cheese. The citizens consume about 31.1 kilograms of cheese each year. France was at number two with a consumption rate of approximately 26.1 kilograms per person.
- Cheddar is the most popular cheese. Cheddar’s name comes from a small region in Somersetshire, England. However, this type of cheese can be found all over the world. It was delicious with the scent is not too hard and suitable for any cooking.
There is a cheese made from breast milk. Le Petit Singly is one of the producers of cheese in France that utilizes material from breast milk, donated by a number of women giving birth. The producers claim that their product is rich in vitamins and has a more special flavor. In New York a number of chefs are also beginning to develop this type of cheese.
Cheese Store in Venlo, Netherlands
Traditional cheese sellers (Tatra Mountains, region of Poland)
Clawson Stilton Gold, The world's most expensive cheese with gold-studded
Sliced cheese is usually white and pale. But it’s different for cheese, because it looks beautiful and luxurious. There’s a sprinkling of gold in it. We called this “Clawson Stilton cheese” with the sprinkled of the real gold. The price is so expensive, a piece of this cheese is about £ 60. With the expensive price, Stilton cheese still has many fans. This cheese offered luxury and exclusivity. According to Long Clawson Dairy (a company that produces Stilton cheese), celebrities are on the waiting list to get it. This cheese will be produced is only limited to the celebration of Christmas. It’s the most “brilliant” cheese in England. The price is 67 times more expensive than regular Stilton cheese.
The benefit of cheese for health and the reason we should be careful with cheese
The benefit of cheese. Cheese is a dairy product and it is very rich in calcium, phosphorus, zinc, vitamin A, riboflavin, and vitamin B12. Therefore, now it used as a favorite breakfast in many countries around the world. About 30 grams of cheddar contains 200 grams calcium or equivalent with the content of medium milk. Type of blue cheese is believed to reduce the risk of fragility in our teeth. Researchers from the British Cheese Board also convey the content of tryptophan in cheese can help relieve stress and make us can sleep more soundly. Consumption of cheese more than five serving per day is good to reduce abdominal fat, blood pressure and blood sugar.
But we must careful with the cheese. Although cheese has many benefits for our health, but for some group of people, some cheese and other dairy products can turn into a menu that should be "forbidden". For example, the content of casein in cheese may worsen the condition of autism. Lactose in "young cheese" is dangerous for people with lactose intolerance. Level of vigilance must also be increased on "raw cheese" or cheese with minimally process. Why? a type of this cheese contain bacteria that can increase the risk of various infections, such as Listeria, with symptoms of nausea and stomach cramps.
Pregnant women should avoid soft cheeses such as cheddar cheese, brie or camembert. These cheese made them at risk for Listeria, which is a rare disease caused by food containing the Listeria monocytogenes bacteria. If the bacteria are captured and deposited during pregnancy, it can cause miscarriage. In fact, infections can cause blood poisoning and weakened immune systems. This was disclosed by the Health Protection Agency (HPA) in England, in which this disease continues to increase.
Don't worry about that, all you need to do is choose the cheese from goat's milk or sheep. This type of cheese contains "conjugated linoleic acid" (CLA) which will help us reduce the inflammation and the buildup of plaque in blood vessels.
Cheese drum set
Each wheel of cheese is configured as a set of drums. These drums have different sizes, regular drums and sticks used to play. Depending on how we hit and where it will determine the resulting sound. Each type of cheese produced various types of sounds, because the density of the type of cheese.
Lemon Cheesecake recipe
- 325 g cream cheese
- 130 g butter
- 350 gr of fresh liquid milk
- 7 egg yolks
- 125 grams sugar
- ¼ tsp vanilla paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 7 egg white grains
- 1 teaspoon cream of tar-tar
- 1 tsp lemon essence
- 70 gr flour
- 50 g tang mein flour
- 30 g milk powder
How to Make:
- Beat the egg white, add cream of tar-tar until fluffy stiff. Set aside.
- Mix the cream cheese and butter. Steamed until melted, add the fresh liquid milk while stirring continuously. After boiling, remove and let it cool.
- Separately, beat egg yolks, sugar, vanilla paste, lemon essence and salt until smooth. Set aside.
- Mix the egg yolk mixture, egg whites into the cream cheese batter. Stir well. Add the flour mixture, stirring gently until all ingredients mixed.
- Pour the batter into the pan size 20x20x5 cm with margarine smeared. Bake in 180oC temperature until ripe and yellow-brown. Remove and cut into pieces. Serve for 12 pieces
You can also read:
More by this Author
Princess is a mother of the country. There are many princess in the world. They like in fairy tale.
From the 60 countries which have winter season. Only several countries have beautiful scenery when the snow comes.
The main factor we need take a bath for cleanliness but the bath is also useful for health. Many people said that they spend much time in bath room. After working hard all day long, they need to relax.