Experience Traditional London Food Recipes
London has many traditional customs and practices and this makes it one of the most attractive cities to visit in the world. If you are visiting this amazing city all that you need is your passport and you can have lots of fun experiencing the traditional London food recipes.
Each city in the world has its share of traditional food recipes and you may find some of the most unique and wonderful recipes of the world in London. These food items have been loved by generations of people living and visiting this beautiful city. These dishes have managed to retain their popularity in spite of new dishes capturing the attention of people.
What are the most popular traditional London food recipes?
- Fish and chips – Cod, huss, haddock and plaice are the most popular fish that are used to prepare this amazing dish. The fish are deep-fried in flour batter and potatoes neatly sliced are fried along with it. Malt vinegar is then used to dress the dish. A traditional take away dish it has managed to remain popular. You may be surprised to know that most people are unaware of how this unique combination of fish and chips started.
- Yorkshire pudding – Although it is a pudding it is not eaten as dessert but rather treated as a main course or starter. It is made with eggs, milk and flour and is baked in the oven. There are usually two ways to eating this pudding. You can stuff it with vegetables and gravy and eat as a starter or choose to eat it as a dessert and stuff it with ice cream or jam.
- Roast meats – Beef, whole chicken, lamb and pork are roasted in the oven for a couple of hours and other traditional accompaniments are added to it to make it a tasty and healthy dish. With beef the accompaniments include gravy, English mustard, Yorkshire pudding and horseradish sauce. With mutton and lamb the accompaniments include mint or onion sauce, savory herb pudding and red currant jelly.
- Pie and mash with parsley liquor – This traditional dish was earlier made with eels but over the years they have been replaced with beef pies. The parsley liquor that accompanies this dish is a sauce and not alcoholic.
- Rhubarb Crumble – It is a classic British pudding that is a favorite with everyone. It is made with rhubarb, sugar, orange juice, vanilla extract and plain flour. You can cook it in the oven and serve it hot with ice cream or custard sauce. The crunchy taste of this dish is loved by both kids and adults alike.
Most of the restaurants in London still cook and serve these traditional dishes as they used to do in the past and this has helped them to retain their authentic taste and flavor. These traditional food items are available in various variants and this has made them even more delicious. These foods are not just tasty but healthy too. Although there are many other traditional food recipes of London the ones listed above are some of the most popular.
More by this Author
The crime rate has increased significantly over the years and you often hear of instances where there has been a break-in even when the house is locked from the inside.
No comments yet.