Best Beef Stew Recipe For Slow Cooker Or Crockpot
Beef Stew in the Crock Pot: Fall Classic
At this time of year, soups and stews are a must for me because I love the ability to add so many good-for-you vegetables and enjoy the delicate aromas that slow-cooking lend the house. Nothing feels better or cozier on a fall evening than having your meal all ready for you too via the wonderful invention call the crock-pot!
Add a tossed green salad and a loaf of crusty bread (why not dig out the bread maker and make a loaf) or dinner rolls and you've got a lovely meal. Maybe add a cobbler for dessert and it is even a more elegant meal for guests!
Experiment with other vegetables and make the stew YOUR classic. I love tweaking stew or soup recipes to what I have at hand.
Recipe for Beef Stew in the Crock Pot
- 1 lb. beef (round steak, stewing beef, even part of a pot roast chunked)
- 1 medium onion chopped (or substitute shallots or baby onions)
- 4-5 stalks of celery
- 5-6 red potatoes (I leave skins on but you may peel) OR use Yukon gold potatoes - large chunk chopped
- 6 or so medium carrots peeled and large chunk chopped
- 1 quart beef broth (and additional water)
- Couple dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- Red wine (1/2 cup) if desired as part of other liquid
- Frozen peas (add at the very end) - optional
- Mushrooms (add near the end) - optional
- Corn kernels - optional
- Few chunks of sweet potato - optional
- Olive oil or no-calorie cooking spray for browning beef
- Flour for dredging beef - optional
- Flour for thickening towards the end - optional
- Spices (I use tarragon and marjoram a lot but also rosemary and thyme are rich in flavor)
- Braise beef (chunked/cubed) in saucepan in a teaspoon or so of olive oil (or cooking spray) - if desired dredge the beef in flour, salt and pepper. I just brown the beef chunks to set them but it works both with flour dredging or without.
- If desired, remove beef, add onion and celery to the pan and just toss them for about 5 minutes to soften a bit.
- Place the carrots and potatoes in the bottom of the crock-pot, add the onions and celery.
- Add the meat on top of the vegetables (you want the heavier thicker vegetables to stay DOWN inside the liquid to make sure they cook through).
- Sprinkle with herbs desired and salt/pepper.
- Next mix your red wine if used, your quart of beef broth (or equivalent mix of water and bouillon), the Worcestershire sauce and pour over all.
- I add water with bouillion or more broth to about 3/4 of the way up so that there will be plenty of delicious broth (if extra later on, I save it and use it for gravies, etc).
- Cover and cook on LOW setting for 8 hours (or until desired doneness is reached).
- NOTE: If you lift the lid off the crockpot, allow 20 minutes for it to get back to its original temperature - each time!
- Towards the end of cooking (an hour or so before it will be done) add mushrooms if using.
- Add peas and/or corn kernels at the tail end of cooking as they do not require recooking or much cooking.
- If a thicker stew is desired, mix 1 tablespoon of flour at a time with cold water in a covered container, shake and then pour into the stew. Add this an hour at least before cooking end time, stir in and allow to thicken.
- Another good vegetable to add is parsnips but again, be creative! I have used frozen mushrooms and fresh mushrooms with equal results. I have also added small chunks of butternut squash that made a delicious variety!
Purchase Here From Amazon
Here Are More Hubs For Other Ideas
- Easy Osso Buco Recipe - Italian Veal Shank Stew
Although this meaty Italain braised dish takes a few hours from start to finish - most of that time has it percolating unattended in the oven. This is easy and amazingly good.
- How to Make Beef Stew
This delicious stew is a recipe that was handed down to me from my mom. You will find it very simple in its ingredients, and also simple to make. Hope you try it and enjoy. Good any time of the year, but...
- Hearty Vegetable Stew, Crock Pot Recipe
I think the best part about cold weather is the abundance of soup and stew recipes. This vegetable stew is truly hearty. The best part, though, is that it is easy to make (thanks to the crock pot). 2...
- Botswana Stews and Gravy
The Traditional Period of time in Botswana was the era spent as a British Protectorate and the years under the leadership of Seretse Khama, considered a father to the country by his constituents...
- Lentil Stew Recipes: Easy, Healthy, & Hearty
When the cold weather hits, I tend to make lentils at least once a week for dinner. Here are a few of the many benefits of lentils: Each 1/2 cup contains 5-6 grams of fiber. Servings are high in protein and...
- Medicinal Properties of Herbs and Spices in Soups & ...
Medicinal properties, herb benefits of herbs commonly used in soups and stews. Cardamom, Coriander, Rosemary, Turmeric, Tarragon, Marjoram, Cayenne Pepper, Pepper. Benefits include easing digestive complaints, lower blood pressure, better insulin uti
- Super Fast and Easy Soups, Stews and Chowders
Easy versions of vegetable soup, chicken soup, turkey stew, beef stew and more.
- FAST & EASY Beef stew - for LAZY COOKS, like Me!
Absolutely YUMMY -- You are going to LOVE this recipe. I'll admit it, I am a LAZY cook! Let's face it, we have so much in our lives that we CHOOSE to do, that we are not about to spend OUR TIME in the kitchen, right? But, we still to NEED to figure o
- Recipe For Potato Rolls And Bread - Make Both At The...
morguefile.com INGREDIENTS 1 cup mashed cooked peeled baking potatoes (about 8 ounces) 1 cup fat-free milk 3 tablespoons honey 2 tablespoons butter 4-1/2 cups bread flour - DIVIDED 2-1/2...
- Irish Beef Stew Recipe | Simply Recipes
Beef stew recipe made with beef, garlic, stock, Irish Guinness beer, red wine, potatoes, carrots, and onions. An excellent, hearty stew.
- International Vegetarian Stews
- Cooking From Scratch - Hearty Beef Stew
- Soups to Fight Colds and Flu
- Slow Cooker Stew: A Recipe
Crockpot with Stovetop Cooking Capacity
- All-Clad's Crockpot with Insert That Cooks on Stovetop
Video also of cooking on the stovetop with the insert, then placing inside the crockpot to finish slow cooking!
These Make A Wonderful Addition To The Stew
- How To Cook A Holiday Ham
Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Year's we always have ham for one of the three holidays. It makes a nice change from poultry and beef. There is always a lot left over for making bean or pea soups and...
More by this Author
Try this great recipe for an old favorite. Add leftover prime rib to your chili next time and cook in the slow cooker. Yum!
Use your slow cooker or crock pot to make salmon loaf. It's easy and you can easily make it without turning on the oven.
I learned the hard way not to put an ice pack directly on my skin. Here's how to treat ice burns quickly, and how to avoid them as well.