Family Picnic Ideas
There is something about summer weather that just beckons for a picnic. Picnics are even more fun as a family. I have two little kids, ages 2 and 4, and they love picnics of any style. Formal or informal, planned or spontaneous, lunch or dinner - my kids are always game for a picnic.
Here are some of our favorite picnic ideas for families. We'll talk about food, games and other picnic supplies you'll need for your day in the sun.
Family Picnic Food
A great picnic is all about the food and the mood. Take the next chance you get on a warm sunny day to spread out a blanket and enjoy a great meal with your family in the great outdoors.
Here are my favorite family picnic foods:
- Peanut butter and honey sandwiches
- Cold cut sandwiches or subs
- Fresh fruit - think local fruits that are in season,such as strawberries, pears, and apples. This will give you the sweetest taste.
- Cheese and crackers
- Nuts - almonds, walnuts, pistachios,etc.
- Sparkling juice or cider- somehow it just makes the picnic feel that much more special
The main things to consider are how easy the foods are to eat and how well they can keep in the sun. You don't want to worry about your food spoiling on a hot day. You will also want foods that you and your kids can eat with your fingers - much less mess and much easier to balance on a plate.
Family Picnic Games
Family Picnic Games
Picnics are about more than food - they are also about getting out an enjoying the outdoors. For us, that means playing games. Here are my favorite family picnic games.
- Hide-and-seek - great for the younger kids, but fun for parents to play along
- Ladder golf - even the little ones like to try their hand at ladder golf
- Ring toss - great at teaching kids coordination
- Washers - you can buy a washers game or you can make your own.
- Bean bag toss - this one is great for kids of all ages
- Ring-around-the-rosy - my kids all-time favorite
- Bocce ball - lots of fun, but better for a little more skilled audience
- Frisbee- it's a classic for a reason
- Frisbee golf - if you haven't played Frisbee golf,find a course near you. It is a blast.
- Outdoor twister- use spray paint to make colored dots in the grass in the pattern of a classic twister board.
- Freeze tag - no games needed, just gold old-fashioned fun
Family Picnic Supplies
We've covered the food and the games, so what else do you need for your family picnic?
- A good picnic blanket
- A picnic basket
- Utensils- knives, forks, and/or spoons depending on the foods you've packed
- Cooler bag
- A trash bag - you'll need a way to pick up mess you might make
- A beach umbrella - just in case you need to make your own shady spot
- Bug spray
Enjoy The Moment
Now that you have all the plans on what food to bring, what games to play and what other supplies you will need you are all set for your day in the sun.
The main thing is to enjoy the time with your family. If the picnic doesn't go as planned, don't worry about it. Consider it a new memory. This time really is about spending the afternoon with your family.
I'd love to hear about your family picnics.
More by this Author
Oklahoma City is truly a destination with a lot to offer. Here are the top free things to do in Oklahoma City.
The best way to compare diaper prices is by looking at the "price per diaper". Here's how to calculate the price per diaper to make sure you are getting the best deal.