Fast and Easy Chicken With Rice And Beans
Chicken with Rice & Beans Recipe
This is a quick and easy recipe for Chicken with Rice and Beans.
It only takes about a half hour to prepare, and uses skinless, boneless Chicken Breasts for a light and healthy weeknight meal.
This recipe serves 4
people, but can be easily adjusted for more or fewer people by changing
the amounts of Rice and Chicken Stock - just be sure to maintain the
ratio of 4-parts Stock to 1-part Rice.
The only "special" equipment you'll need is a 12-inch Non-Stick Skillet with a Lid. You can also substitute some or all of the Chicken Stock in the recipe with The Best Homemade Vegetable Stock!
- 4 Skinless, Boneless Chicken Breasts
- 6 tablespoons Flour
- 1 tablespoon Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Dry Thyme Leaves
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 1 medium Onion, minced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- Pinch Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 cup Long Grain White Rice
- 4 cups Chicken Stock or Homemade Vegetable Stock, or a mixture of the two
- 1 can Black Beans (or your other favorite beans), drained and rinsed
- Lemon (or Lime) Juice, to taste
- Thoroughly wash the Chicken Breasts, in then trim away any excess fat and gristle.
- Mix together the Flour, Garlic Powder, Dry Thyme Leaves and Salt & Pepper a small bowl.
- Heat Vegetable Oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dredge the Chicken in the seasoned Flour mixture and add to the skillet, smooth-side down.
- Saute the Chicken for 4-5 minutes until golden brown, then turn and repeat for the second side.
- Remove the Chicken from the skillet and set aside; cover with foil.
- Add the Butter. When the Butter has melted, add the Onion and more Salt & Pepper, to taste. Cook the onions until soft.
- Add the Garlic and cook another 30 seconds.
- Add a pinch of Red Pepper Flakes.
- Add the Rice and cook for about 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the Chicken Stock and bring to a boil.
Instant Read Thermometer
The best way to tell if the chicken is thoroughly cooked is to use a Quick-Read Meat Thermometer - the internal temperature should be 160-165 degrees.
If you don't have a thermometer you should get one!
- Once you've reached a full boil, add the Chicken to the skillet and cover. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes until the Chicken is done.
- Remove the Chicken from the skillet, scraping off as much uncooked Rice as you can. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Continue cooking the Rice, uncovered, until the liquid is mostly absorbed, about 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Add the Beans and stir together. Cover the skillet and turn off the heat. Let it sit for a few minutes to allow the Beans to heat through.
- Optionally, just before serving, add the Lemon or Lime Juice to taste - I usually use about 1 tablespoon.
Thaw Meat The Safe Way
More by this Author
I've made other, more traditional lasagna recipes, but this is quite probably the easiest and fastest lasagna recipe I have ever seen. This, however, is quite probably the easiest and fastest lasagna recipe I have ever...
This is a Meatball Recipe made with three kinds of Ground Meat - Beef, Veal and Pork. The seasonings are traditional Italian and can be found in most kitchens. These Meatballs can be fried in oil on the stove-top or...
If you find your Windows Vista PC or laptop to be too slow, here are ten easy and simple tips that you can follow to dramatically increase the performance of your Windows Vista computer. Each tip includes step-by-step...