Fat-free Low Calorie Chocolate Brownie Dessert Recipe
Chocolate Brownie Low Calorie Recipes
If you're trying to cut calories but don't want to skimp on flavor, try some of the fantastically simple yet surprisingly delicious recipes for low calorie, fat free brownies.
There are several variations on what you can add, but the most common ingredient when you want to cut the fat and still retain the flavor is to use applesauce.
Since I didn't have any unsweetened applesauce on hand, I used some fresh crisp apples I had and made my own. It takes about 10 minutes to make fresh applesauce so it's not a labor intensive project.
The best news is you get applesauce that is wonderfully delicious with no preservatives, no colorings, and best of all--no sugar.
Ingredients for Fat Free Brownies
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill unbromated unbleached flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened finest cocoa
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon aluminum free baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Trader Joe's baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon Saigon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar or sugar substitute
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup non-fat dried milk powder
- 1 egg white, slightly beaten
- 1 cup unsweetened fresh applesauce
- 1 teaspoon homemade or Mexican vanilla
- finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- powdered sugar (optional)
|Serving size: 1 nonfat brownie|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 19 g||6%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 25 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Instructions for Low Calorie Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If making fresh applesauce, prepare applesauce first and let cool to room temperature. Spray an 8 x 8 x 2 inch square pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a strainer as a sifter, add flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Shake back and forth over a large bowl until all is sifted through. Mix well.
- In small to medium bowl, mix together the sugars, non-fat dried milk powder, egg white, vanilla and applesauce. Whisk together until smooth and well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients in large bowl. Stir to combine. If adding walnuts, stir in to combine. Turn batter into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 22-23 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 5-10 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar if desired. Cut into 16 squares if desired.
How To Make Fresh Applesauce
How To Make Low Calorie Fat Free Brownies
Enjoy your nonfat, low calorie brownies~!
More Ideas for Fat Free Brownies
Some of the recipes went as low as 39 calories. These were recipes using Stevia instead of sugar.
Some also used whole wheat flour for at least part of the flour portion.
Weight Watchers has a recipe that is very similar in ingredients though uses milk chocolate chips and plain fat-free yogurt as well as reduced fat milk. It is billed as a 2 points plus recipe.
Still another recipe uses low fat milk, bananas and oat bran.
There is an 88-calorie brownie recipe that actually equals 108 calories when you look at the nutrition information--figure that one out~! That one uses 4 egg whites, more sugar, semisweet chocolate chips and espresso powder.
There are many recipes you can use for some delicious alternatives to gooey chocolate brownies. These are viable alternatives to calorie loaded recipes and you still get the decadent flavor of chocolate but in a better-for-you way.
Try substituting oat bran for part of the flour to increase the fiber in the brownies. If you use organic apples that have not been exposed to sprays and pesticides, consider leaving the skins on when you puree the apples into applesauce--more fiber.
Also think about adding mini cinnamon chips instead of cinnamon for a different texture and flavor or perhaps just a bit of ground nut meal for part of the flour--such as walnut meal or almond meal.
The sky's the limit--try different recipes and see which ones become your favorites.
More by this Author
Easy to make and just the right size - mini cheesecakes. Step by step how to make mini cheesecakes.
Caramel corn isn't that hard to make. In fact, it's very simple and oh so delicious. Try it and you'll be hooked and never buy store bought caramel corn again.
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...