Buko Fruit Salad Recipe
Buko Fruit Salad is always part of Filipino menu during festive celebrations like the holidays, birthdays, and town fiestas. This is why a buko fruit salad recipe ranks top of the most-searched Filipino recipes.
The main ingredient in this salad is the meat of young coconut or 'buko'. The soft and sweet succulent buko meat gives off a distinct taste even when fused with the taste of different other fruit ingredients. People make their own versions with others adding cheese or ground peanut, and even nata de coco, or canned fruit to the mixture. The recipe provided here is just one the basic that will make an authentic Filipino buko salad dessert.
- 4 cups of young coconut meat 'buko', shredded
- 8 bananas, sliced into half-rings
- 3 apples, cored and peeled
- 3 large sweet mangoes, diced
- 1 cup Raisins
- 1 cup Nestle cream, chilled
- 1 can Condensed milk, chilled
- 1/4 slice of lemon
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
- Drain and remove the young coconut meat 'buko' from its shell, then cut them into slivers of 1/2-inch wide and 2-inch long, or you may shred them if you prefer it this way. Make sure you don't scrape the meat too close to the shell.
- Peel, core and dice the apple. Place in the bowl with water mixed with lemon juice to prevent the fruit from turning black.
- Slice the bananas in 1/2-inch ring slices. Dump into the water-lemon mixture as well. Drain the fruits and set aside.
- Slice the ripe mango carefully removing the seed in the middle. Make sure not to slice too close into the seed. With a small knife, make a criss-cross pattern in the mango meat and carefully scoop it out. Place in a clean plate and set aside.
- Mix all the wet ingredients, the Nestle cream and condensed milk together.
- In a large bowl, combine together the young coconut meat or buko, apple, banana, mango meat, raisins, and cream-and-milk mixture. Coat all the fruit ingredients by stirring carefully.
- Chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes before serving in individual salad bowls. Enjoy!
More by this Author
Try this delicious Buko Pandan salad, a uniquely Filipino dessert and a variation to the basic buko salad with the addition of the Pandan leaf (Fragrant Screwpine).
A list of popular Philippine cake shops for your cake needs.
Do you want to find out if a guy is in love with you? Check out these signs to be sure!