Four Bean Turkey Chili
Recently I have been trying to watch how much red meat I consume. I'm not the type of person who believes in or is particularly disciplined at "going without" so I came up this recipe for chili using ground turkey instead of ground beef.
Actually it ended up being some of the best chili I've eaten in a long time.
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 jalapenos, diced with seeds
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tbs cumin
- 1 and 1/2 puunds ground turkey
- 1 16 oz can white beans
- 1 16 oz can kidney beans
- 1 16 oz can pinto beans
- 1 16 oz can black beans
- 1 16 oz can corn
- 1 24 oz can whole tomatoes
- 2 tbs chocolate syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- to taste salt and pepper
- Brown and drain the ground turkey.
- In a large stock pot saute the onions, jalapenos, and garlic with the cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Add the cooked and drained ground turkey, beans, corn, and tomatoes. Simmer for one hour stirring occasionally.
- Add the chocolate syrup, and cinnamon and continue to simmer for an additional 2 hours.
- Taste the chili and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Notes: I do not drain the beans or corn. Use more or less jalapenos or substitute one green pepper to adjust spiciness. Chili powder is unnecessary.
More by this Author
Making soups is more about the technique for making soups then it is about following a recipe. Most people follow the basic rules and guidlines without even knowing it. In this article I describe a the general technique...