Four Cheese Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
Why Gluten Free?
A gluten-free diet is a diet that excludes the protein gluten. Gluten is found in grains such as wheat, barley, rye and triticale (a cross between wheat and rye).
A gluten-free diet is used to treat celiac disease. For people with celiac disease, gluten causes inflammation in the small intestines. Eating a gluten-free diet helps people with celiac disease control their symptoms.
I was able to find gluten free macaroni in the bulk food isle of a major discount market chain (such as Winco).
- 1 Tablespoon Canola Oil
- 1 lb Gluten Free Elbow Macaroni (4 Cups)
- 8 Cups Water
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt, Regular
- 6 Ounces Unsalted Butter (10 Tablespoons)
- 1/2 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese, shredded
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, shredded
- 1 Cup Velveeta Cheese, cubed
- 2 Cups Half-and-Half
- 2 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon Seasoned Salt
- 1/8 teaspoon Fresh Ground Pepper
Preparation for Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly butter a deep 2 1/2 quart casserole baking dish with 1 Tablespoon of the butter.
- Fill a large pot with water, add regular salt, and bring to a rapid boil.
- Add gluten free macaroni and oil.
- Cook the macaroni for 8 minutes, or until it is tender but not overly flimsy when you bite into it (professional chefs refer to this as "al dente"). Remember, you are going to bake the casserole, so this will cook the macaroni a little more as it bakes.
- Drain and then return the macaroni to the pot. Let this sit while you continue to prepare the other ingredients.
- In a small saucepan, melt 8 Tablespoons of butter.
- Stir the butter into the macaroni.
- In a large bowl, combine the three shredded cheeses. Then remove 1/2 Cup of this cheese mix to use as a casserole topping.
- To the shredded cheese bowl, add half-and-half, cubed cheese, eggs, seasoned salt, and pepper. Stir to mix these ingredients together.
- Add this mixture to the large pot with the buttered macaroni and stir.
- Transfer this mixture to the lightly buttered casserole baking dish, and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
- Dot the top of the casserole with 1 Tablespoon of butter.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and bubbly.
- Serve this casserole hot.
Add to the Boiled and Drained Macaroni
Delicious Gluten Free Macaroni and Cheese
Serve Up Your Macaroni and Cheese With These Common Food Partners
Nutrition Information Per Serving
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||405|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 45 g||69%|
|Saturated fat 35 g||175%|
|Unsaturated fat 11 g|
|Carbohydrates 9 g||3%|
|Sugar 2 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 19 g||38%|
|Cholesterol 180 mg||60%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
I made my regular macaroni and cheese recipe with gluten free macaroni just to give it a try and I must admit that I find the gluten free macaroni just as delicious as regular macaroni.
Children really enjoy this macaroni and cheese recipe because there are very few spices. Adults also enjoy it topped with hot chilli sauce to help spice it up a bit.
One last thing, if you are salt-conscious, you can omit putting salt in the water to boil the macaroni. I have omitted salt on occassion when I prepare this recipe for people who need to cut down on salt. It is still delicious even without the extra salt.
Rate This Recipe
More by this Author
Make your own chocolate candy quick and easy with candy melts. Heat the melt in the microwave, add your favorite mix, like coconut, chopped nuts, even candied fruit. Pour it in a mold and in 15 minutes you have a...
Lemon balm is known to calm anxiety, restore depleted energy and its decongestant and antihistamine properties help with asthma and hayfever. Try a delicious glass of lemon balm tea to enjoy and receive the benefits...
Let me share some over-the-counter solutions that have not only worked, but worked quickly to relieve my tooth pain.