French Toast / Eggy Bread
French Toast (or Eggy Bread as we call it in the UK), might not be something that you have every day but it makes a brilliant weekend breakfast.
Come on.....you have worked all week and you deserve a little treat. The interesting thing about French Toast / Eggy Bread is that there are so many variations, have it sweet with a little sugar, dried fruit, jam even coconut, or go for savoury with salt, tomato ketchup, or even marmite!
Essentially French Toast is bread dipped in an egg and milk mixture and fried. It is called by many names around the world, such as Egg Slices in Greece and the rather lovely sounding 'Fluffy Bread' in Hungary.
This version is savory and makes a cheesy French Toast / Eggy Bread, I used a strong cheddar which added a real depth of flavour. I didnt have any milk and so just used eggs - which made it super eggy and worked just as well if not better!
- 2 Eggs
- Handful Cheddar - Grated, or any other hard cheese
- 2-3 slices Bread
- 3 tblsp Oil, I used groundnut
- Pinch Salt and Pepper, To season
- Heat oil in frying pan
- Crack eggs and mix with cheese, give it a little whisk to mix
- Dip bread into eggs and cheese mixture - make sure bread is well covered. Sprinkle a little cheese on top before frying
- Add bread to frying pan and fry until golden brown - probably about 2-3 minutes each side. Season and then serve
More Egg recipes
- Quick and Easy Crustless Quiche
How to make crustless quiche