How to Make Healthy Fresh Spring Rolls: Shrimp Wraps Cambodian Khmer Nam Chow Recipe
This recipe can be used to make as a snack or as part of a larger meal. Many Asian cultures eat Spring Rolls (often called Salad or Summer Rolls) but this recipe comes from Cambodia, Southeast Asia. You can add shrimp or omit it depending on your desired taste.
These Spring Rolls are served cold and so they make a great treat on a hot summer day! They taste even better when dipped in a slightly spicy peanut dipping sauce!
In Traditional Khmer Cambodian Cooking the Rice Paper is made from rice flour and water and batter is spread over a fabric which is stretched over boiling water, and steamed.
Commonly known as Nam Chow in Cambodian Khmer, this recipe is very popular all over Southeast Asia. Rice Paper Wrappers are sold dried and can be found in most Grocery Stores and Asian Specialty Stores. Generally, they are a product of Vietnam. Take care when handling the paper because it is very thin and brittle. Be sure to inspect the product at the store before purchasing.
This recipe serves 4, takes about an hour to prepare, and only takes 10 minutes to cook! Let's take a look at the ingredients:
Spring Roll Ingredients
How To Prepare
Dried Rice Paper (Wraps)
8 (8 in/20 cm diameter)
Dried Rice Vermicelli
7 oz (200g)
Wash, Peel and De-vein
Wash and Dry
Wash, Peel and slice into very fine strips.
Wash. Peel and slice into very fine strips.
2 Cups (100 g)
1 small bunch
Thai Basil Leaves
1 small bunch
Green Onions (Scallions)
Sliced into short lengths
Spring Roll Recipe
- The first thing that you want to do is to soften the Dried Rice Paper Wrappers by placing them flat between two damp dish towels. Be sure to turn them over occasionally while preparing the rest of the ingredients. If you do this at the beginning they should be soft enough by the time to are ready to wrap them. If you forget to to this then you can soak them in warm water for about 30 seconds at the end of the preparation. Be careful as they tear very easily!
- Blanch the Dried Rice Vermicelli in hot water for 1-2 minutes or until soft, then rinse with cold water and drain.
- Bring a large saucepan with salted water to a boil; and briefly cook the shrimp. Plunge the shrimp into cold water when cooked and drain and set aside.
- On a flat surface such as a cutting board or counter top, spread a single (softened) rice paper wrapper and smooth with your fingers so that it is flat and non-creased.
- Place a lettuce leaf, some of the carrot, cucumber, bean sprouts and rice vermicelli onto the wrapper (place everything close to one edge for best rolling technique)
- Fold the wrapper's edge over the ingredients halfway, fold in the sides to make a "pouch" and roll up half way. Be sure to keep it tight.
- Place some shrimp, the herbs and a scallion (green onion) slice along the roll.
- Roll up the wrapper all the way, keeping it tight.
- Repeat these steps 7 more times, and you have 8 delicious Spring Rolls!
- Set aside for 10 minutes before serving.
- If you want to add aesthetics to the presentation of this dish, slice off one of the ends of the roll before serving.
- I recommend clicking the link to learn a quick and easy recipe for Dipping Sauce which makes the Spring Rolls taste even better!
Jong Yam! (Want to eat!)
More Authentic Cambodian Recipes
- 2 Quick Appetizer Recipes: How To Make Shrimp Fritters and Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger
Are you looking for quick, easy and delicious appetizer recipes? Then look no further! This article has 2 recipes: Shrimp Fritters and a recipe for Sweet Potato Rolls with Ginger. The recipes come from Cambodia, Southeast Asia and were influenced by
- Cambodian Pickled Vegetables Recipe: Overnight Pickles, the Southeast Asian Khmer Way!
Want to learn how to make Pickles in only 24 Hours? This recipe is easy to use and takes less than a half hour to prepare, but needs to sit overnight to marinate. Unlike most pickled vegetables recipes, this recipe does not require you to go through
- Cambodian Raw Vegetable, Fruit and Herb Plate Recipe: Cooking the Khmer Way!
Sick of the same old salad? Want a new Healthy Recipe? This Recipe combines Raw Vegetables and Fruit with a selection of Fine Herbs and Spices. It is also a healthy dish because of the Ingredients used.
- Honey Glazed Chicken Recipe: The Oriental Khmer Southeast Asian Way!
Traditionally, this dish is cooked in an earthenware pot. These pots are usually hand-made in the Kampong Chang region. The pot is placed in a small barbecue to add a smoky flavor to the dish. The herbs and spices flavors are arroused by the content
- Photo Journey of the Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA
The Southeast Asian Water Festival in Lowell, MA is held on the third Saturday of August every year. This article is a display of the events through Original Photos (Are You in one of them?) and descriptions of the Festival's Vendors and Events...
- My Soul Mate Found Me! A Short Essay On Karma Love and My Beautiful Cambodian Wife!
A love story about 2 people who would have never met, except for a series of unfortunate events that brought them together. Dealing with failed relationships and surviving the Khmer Rouge, an ethnic cleansing regime in Cambodia's dark past.
- Learn How To Speak and Write Cambodian: An Introduction To The Khmer Language
An introduction to Khmer, the language of Cambodia. Includes pronunciation, character/letter writing, original photos and drawings. This is the best guide for a beginner who wants to learn how to read, write, and speak Khmer Cambodian.
Southeast Asian Cuisine
More by this Author
One of the most enjoyed dishes in Cambodia, Southeast Asia, India and all over the world, is Curry. Curry has a very distinct aroma and taste. You can season Pork, Chicken, Beef, or Lamb with Curry, and these recipes...
- 8How To Cook Pot Roast In a Cast Iron Dutch Oven: Recipe Ingredients and Directions with Photo Review
Learn How to Cook and Make Traditional American Pot Roast. This recipe feeds 6-8 people and uses a Cast Iron Dutch Oven. Simple Ingredients and Preparation. Amaze your family with this classic dinner recipe!
Learn about cast iron cookware and its benefits and how to season, clean, and store it.