Fruit Dessert Topping Recipes
Want to jazz up that vanilla ice cream or make a delicious mouthwatering topping for an angel food cake? Use fruit toppings on angel food cakes, cheesecakes, ice cream sundaes, dress up a plain cake, waffles, pancakes and more.
Fresh Peach Dessert Topping
Most summers I will end up buying too many peaches and have a few stragglers that no one wants to eat sitting in the bottom crisper of the refrigerator. The following recipe is not only simple to make but is fast and you can make it with three ingredients. We like to eat this over french vanilla ice cream.
- Prep time: 5 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- Ready in: 25 min
- Yields: 2 cups
- 4 medium sized Peaches
- 1 tbsp. Lemon Juice, either fresh or bottled
- 1/2 cup of White Sugar
- Wash the peaches, slice, and remove the pit. I don't remove the skin but you can if you want to.
- In a saucepan on medium to medium high heat add the sliced peaches, lemon juice and sugar tossing well.
- Let the mixture cook for fifteen minutes stirring occasionally. During the final five minutes of cooking time take a rubber spatula or other utensil and break the peach slices into smaller pieces. I use the rubber spatula as my sauce pan is Teflon coated.
- Remove from heat and let the peach sauce cool down. You can either use the dessert topping right away or refrigerate until ready to use.
Sauce Pan That is Perfect For These Recipes
Turn a plain cheesecake into a peach cheesecake
To use the peach dessert topping to serve with cheesecake, can be easily thickened even more. To do this follow the above recipe. Once it has cooked for twenty minutes mix together 1 tsp. of cornstarch with 2 tsp. of cold water, and add it to the peach sauce on the stove. Whisk it until it thickens then turn the heat off letting the pot sit for a minute or two. In a food processor or blender puree your peach sauce. When ready to serve with the cheesecake, spoon the peach dessert sauce onto a plate and add a slice of cheesecake on top of the sauce. Enjoy!
This recipe can be made with just about any fruit you desire. I wouldn't always add the lemon juice however. If making this recipe with strawberries add a dash of balsamic vinegar rather than the lemon juice.
Rum and Fruit Compote
Trying to figure out what to serve for dessert? This delicious fruit topping dessert can be eaten all on its own or added on top of or beside yogurt, ice-cream, angel food, apple or any type of cake.
Preparing and cooking the Rum and Fruit Compote
- Start by cutting and coring the apples and pears into wedges. They can be peeled or the peel can be left on. Cut peaches into wedges and remove the pits.
- Peel and slice the bananas. Slice strawberries. Peel and cut kiwis into wedges.
- In a large skillet or saucepan mix together white and brown sugar, butter, lemon juice, orange juice, cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, and ginger. Cook over medium heat stirring continuously while bringing to a boil. Keep cooking until the amount is reduced to half, has thickened.
- Stir in the rum, pears, peaches, apples and cook on simmer until the fruit is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in bananas, kiwis and strawberries.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients for Rum and Fruit Compote
- 3 tbsp of brown sugar
- 3 tbsp of white granulated sugar
- 4 tsp of butter
- 3 tbsp of lemon juice
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 tsp of ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp of cardamon
- 1/8 tsp of nutmeg
- 1/3 cup of dark rum
- 2 medium apples
- 2 medium pears
- 2 medium peaches
- 2 kiwis
- 2 bananas
- 2 cups of strawberries
Fun Fruit Facts
The strawberry is part of the rose family.
If you threw an apple at a girl and she caught it in ancient Greece, this meant that you were proposing marriage and she was saying yes.
Kiwifruit can be used as a meat tenderizer.
There are 8000 varieties of grapes.
More by this Author
An easy to follow recipe for chocolate pecan cherry zucchini bread. A delicious moist dessert bread to serve and enjoy or to take along to a family gathering.
Decadent cheesecake with easy to follow instructions. Serves 20 - 30 people.
Find out how to correct biting, chewing jumping, rough play, begging, barking and digging when your dog has behavioral problems.