Fruit Salad Bowl OR Rice Bowl?
Fruit Salad Bowl OR Rice Bowl?
Fruit Rice Bowl Art and Food
Fruit Salad Bowl OR Rice Bowl? Easy Dinner Recipe!
This dinner is like eating a work of art. It is pretty and tastes wonderful. This is a real family pleasing meal both visually and for the taste.
It is another come home from work easy make dinner. So, stop at the store and purchase the fresh fruit and vegetable ingredients below. Buy whatever looks good to supplement the fruit selections too!
The first thing to do when you arrive home is to start the rice cooking ASAP. I used chicken broth to cook the rice in and had to supplement with water to reach the required 3 C. of liquid needed in the rice cooker.
You now have time to change clothes and read both your snail mail and your E mail.
When the rice is done leave it on the warm button on the rice cooker and begin the big fruit and vegetable salad chop.
This meal originated in my wish to serve more fruit to my family while filling them up too! We also love traditional rice bowl meals. So, why not combine the two? The brown rice makes this particularly filling as does adding the protein source, chicken. You may use either a can of chicken or one of the roasted chickens that you purchase in your local grocery. Those grocery store roasted chickens are wonderful time savers!
Ingredients and Assembled Bowl
- 2 C. brown rice, cooked in chicken broth and water
- 1 head Romaine Lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 C. Parsley, chopped
- 1/4 C. Red onion, chopped
- 2 C. Mixed fruit, thawed in fridge all day
- 1 heart celery, chopped, using leaves too
- 1 can chicken, OR grocery roasted chicken
- SALAD DRESSING fruity flavored
- 1/2 C. plain Greek yoghurt
- 1/4 C. fruit juice, from thawed fruit left in fridge that day
- 1/4 C. Ken's Raspberry Pecan dressing
- 1 apple red delicious preferred, don't use a Granny Smith or tart apple
- bunch grapes dark red seedless grapes, looked good at the store!
A bit of cooking but mostly assembling
- Begin rice cooking the minute you get home. Cook the rice in chicken broth. I used the Knorr gelled broth.
- Chop and assemble all the ingredients above except for the apple. Use a clear bowl and assemble in layers
- Whisk the yogurt, plain yogurt and most of the fruit juices from the thawed the fruit.
- Slice the apple and cube the chicken. Saute them in a non stick skillet with a bit of the fruit juice from the thawed fruit. Cook until the skillet is dry and the fruit and chicken are a bit crispy. This makes a nice texture.
Rice and Dressing
Chicken and Apple
Serve at table side. Do make a big deal out of serving this. Serve everyone their portion of the chicken and apple toasted mixture in the center. Ladle the fruit dressing over the lettuce and piled high fruit areas of the salad; and then toss the fruit and green salad part with the dressing.
Serve each person their share.
This is so appetizing when served this way! I always put soy sauce on the table as it is so nice shaken on the rice.
I have a real fruit lover in my house and this is a tremendous hit with him.
What could be easier? Ummmmm, someone to do the clean-up and dishes?
Other recipes you might like...
- Salad Bowl OR Rice Bowl? Easy Dinner Recipe
Easy salad and Rice Bowl combo. Good after work recipe.
- Recipe Turns Regular Yogurt into Rich Thick Greek-li...
Recipe turns regular yogurt into thick Greek yogurt and Pops the Flavor! Yogurt dressings, sauces, dips, and spreads.
Here is the dressing brand that I used...
More by this Author
Pasta Noodles the New Mexico way. A yummy easy pasta for kids and adults! Easy to make and VERY easy to enjoy! Less than a dollar to make~!
Chili Soup Recipe. A hearty family pleasing meal. Midwestern USA in origin.
Pork Roast Clay Pot cooking recipe. Excellent Holiday entertaining meal.