Homemade Fruit Scone Recipe: How to Make Perfect Fruit Scones Every Time
Bake And Rate This Recipe
Fresh Fruit Scones
Homemade Fruit Scones Recipe
There is nothing better on a Sunday morning than hot fruit scones straight from the oven smothered in fresh whipped cream with lashing of raspberry jam to compliment your first morning coffee and prepare you for the day a head. Read on for a foolproof recipe with a few tips to ensure perfect baked scones every Sunday morning.
- 170g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 50g butter, straight from the fridge cut into small cubes
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 large handful of sultanas
- 60ml of milk
- 1/2 (125ml) pot of natural yoghurt
- 1 beaten egg (well beaten)
A Delightful Easy Brown Soda Bread Recipe
- Brown Soda Bread Recipe: Step by Step With Pictures
Easy brown soda bread recipe complete with step by step instructions and pictures.
More Tasty Bakes for The Kids
- Cakes For Kids: Homemade Mini Jammy Cakes Recipe; Qu...
Tasty and easy mini cake recipe. Great treats for kids and really quick to make.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/Fan 200°C/Gas 7 (allowing the oven to preheat for about 10 minutes).
- Flour a baking tray, tipping off any extra flour.
- Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl.
- Rub in the butter to resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the caster sugar and sultanas.
- Add the natural yoghurt and milk.
- Mix to a soft dough (don't over work the dough or it will be heavy).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead for a minute or two.
- Flatten out the dough.
- Using a sharp floured knife cut into six even pieces (or use scone/cookie cutters).
- Mould each piece of dough into even circle shapes about 2cm thick.
- Brush lightly with the beaten egg.
- Place on the floured baking tray and bake in the middle of the oven for 12 to 15 mins.
- Remove from the oven (the scones should be a light golden colour) and leave to cool on a wire rack (unless of course like me you love warm fruit scones straight from the oven).
Get Perfect Results: Non Stick Baking Sheets
The Best Accompaniment For Scones
- Fresh double cream (to whip)
- 1 tbsp of fine caster sugar (to sweeten)
- Raspberry jam (or a favorite preserve to top)
- Whip the double cream together with the caster sugar (don't over whip).
- Cut the scone in two halves (while still warm).
- Smother with raspberry jam and top with a healthy dollop of the sweetened whipped cream.
- Indulge and enjoy :)
Perfect Fruit Scones
A few easy hints and tips to ensure the perfect scones every time
- Preheat your oven to the exact temperature given.
- Flour your baking tray rather than grease it; greasing can cause the bottom of the scone to become too brown and too hard.
- Always sift the flour to get rid of any lumps.
- Always use butter (never margarine) straight from the fridge.
- Use natural yoghurt; the yoghurt adds a soft creamy texture making the scones lovely and light.
- Knead lightly; too much kneading will make the scones too dense.
- Brush with well beaten egg; if the egg is not well beaten the scones will have a dappled. grainy colour rather than an even light golden brown colour.
- Bake your scones in the middle of the oven; this ensures even cooking.
- Allow the scones to cool slightly as they are still baking through.
- Bake your scones for no more than 15 minutes; or the result will be dry, hard scones.
- Ensure scones are completely cool before storing in a clean airtight container for up to two days; otherwise they will sweat.
© 2011 Gabriel Wilson
More by this Author
A simple straight forward method to poach eggs resulting in perfect poached soft eggs every time.
- 8Easy Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe Using Condensed Milk: Plus a Little Tip; How To Stop Your Meringue From Cracking
An easy lemon meringue pie recipe with homemade pastry using condensed milk. An easy everyday desert. A delicious cheats pie recipe that will please every time.
Zero calorie foods take more energy to absorb into the system than the energy in the food itself. In other words zero calorie foods are foods you can eat without counting calories or gaining weight