Fruit Snack Mix Recipe
Fruit Snack Mix recipe is one of my favourite snacks. It is one of the healthy snacks I endulge myself whether I´m at home, at the beach having picnic or when I´m having guests. The fruits that I use depend on where I am at the moment. When I´m in Germany, I make this fruit snack mix with strawberries, oranges, apples, peaches and kiwis and mix them with yogurt. But when I´m in the Philippines, I prefer to have this snack with the fruits that are in season like avocado, papaya, pineapples and sometimes with mangoes. It really depends on what fruits I long for and it should not be expensive.
When I bought the fruits this morning at our open Sunday market, my eyes were bigger than my stomach. Instead of making a small portion of Fruit Snack Mix for 4 persons, I made for a crowd. Well, I was thankful that there are always relatives living nearby.
How To Peel and Cut Pineapple
- Sharp knife
- Chopping board
- Tablespoon or
- Fruit ball scooper
- Weighing scale
It is very important having a sharp fruit knife as it makes the slicing of fruits easy and you can save time as well. I have one like this though with other brand.
- 1 small size ripe Papaya, cubes
- 1 small size ripe Pineapple, chunks
- 1 ripe Avocado, cubes
- 2 pieces Calamansi or 1 lime, juice
- 1/4 of small Watermelon, cubes
- 2 tablespoon Sugar or honey, optional
- 100 gram Walnuts or any kind of nuts
- 100 gram raisins
Step by Step
- Wash the ripe papaya and cut it into half. Deseed the papaya by scooping the seeds by the use of tablespoon. Cut the half papaya without cutting the skin into many lenghts and crosswise sections so that the cuttings will form like cubes. Scoop the papaya meat with a tablespoon out of the skin. You can use the papaya skin as a bowl later for serving the fruit snack mix.
- Peel off the skin of the ripe pineapple. Get off the eyes of the pineapple fruit. Cut the pineapple into cubes.
- Cut the ripe avocado lenghtwise. Scoop the seed. Cut the meat of the avocado lenghtwise and crosswise without cutting the skin. Scoop the avocado by using a tablespoon. Spread lemon, lime or calamansi juice to the avocado meat to avoid it from becoming dark. Keep the avocado skin for serving the fruit snack mix later.
- Wash the watermelon and cut it into cubes. If possible deseed it. Weigh the walnuts and the raisins.
- Put all the ingredients into a big bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of honey or sugar. You can add more sugar or honey if the sweetness of the fruits are not enough for you. Add the raisins and mix them well.
- Put the Fruit Snack Mix on the empty papaya and empty avocado halves and serve decorated with walnuts on top. You can serve the rest of the fruit snack mix in dessert glasses or plates. Enjoy!
Oh yes. Fruit scooper is one of the best gadget I have in the kitchen. Since cooking has become my hobby for writing blog recipes, I am thankful to that person who invented it. It is indeed one of the best kitchen gadgets I have.
- How to Remove the Flesh from an Avocado
Avocado is one of the super power fruits on earth. Although avocado is very fatty, the fat is healthy as it is monounsaturated. Avocado has a lot of health benefits that one should eat it for the sake of having a good health.
- Always buy the fruits which are on season like strawberries and peaches because they are cheap.
- You can use ball scooper instead of tablespoon for scooping the fruits. The fruits will not be in cubes but in the form of balls and the fruits look nicer than the cubes.
- You can use either brown or white sugar and of course different kinds of honey but it´s healthier to omit the sweetener.
- Fruit Snack Mix with yogurt is yummy, too.
- Don´t forget to use lemon juice when using the fruits that will easily get brown like avocados and bananas to avoid oxidation.
- Serve your Fruit Snack Mix either in a fancy fruit dessert plate or in a glass.
I hope I gave you the desire to eat more fruits for your day to day meals. Remember, fruits have a lot of health benefits which are very good to our body.
What kind of fruit you don´t like?See results without voting
How to prepare an avocado
How to cut and deseed papaya
© 2013 Thelma Alberts
More by this Author
Carambola or a Star Fruit is another tropical fruit which grows in the Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries, as well as in some American countries and in the Pacific. How to eat a Star fruit would be a...
This is a family meal recipe from my late mother. Pedia´s Spring Roll recipe is always a hit in our family parties as it is cook for a crowd of more than a dozen. It contains a lot of work but with the helping hands of...
Have you tried paraffin wax for your hands and feet? If not, try it and you will see how soft your hands and feet will be. It is a soothing wax spa treatment you´ll love to experience.