HOT GREEN PEPPER JELLY - An Old Fashioned Recipe from the hills of Virginia
Old Fashioned Hot Pepper Jelly Recipe
Use Jalapeno Peppers and Green Peppers to make this traditional Hot Jelly.
I originally pulled this old Hot Pepper Jelly recipe, also known as Green Pepper Jelly from an old church recipe book that we have had for decades.
It was printed and sold by an old rural church in the area of Clifford Virginia, back in the early 70’s.
This is a simple Old Country Recipe for making Green Pepper Jelly that is almost impossible to mess up.
We have used it and numerous similar ones over the years, and the end product is a great colorful treat, especially around the Christmas holidays.
So, if your garden is putting out those great fresh Green Peppers, and you can’t eat them fast enough, or they are just on sale at your supermarket at a great price, try this recipe to salvage them before they go bad.
Enjoy this Jelly, on toast, or especially as an appetizer with your favorite Crackers and Cream Cheese when entertaining guests.
Hot Green Pepper Jelly - a Simple Recipe
Rate this Recipe for Hot Pepper Jelly for me!
Cook Time for Hot Green Pepper Jelly
- 3 cups Green Peppers, finely Chopped
- 1 cup Jalapeno Peppers, seeds removed and finely chopped
- 3 cups Vinegar
- 5 pounds Sugar
- 1/4 tsp. Salt
- Food Coloring, Green or Red, as desired
- 1 bottle Certo Gelatin, about 2 packets
- 12 1/2-pint Canning Jars, with Lids and Seals
Recipe contains large amounts of Sugar and is considered a Sweet Treat and not a Healthy Food to Eat regularly
|Serving size: 1 tbs.|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Carbohydrates 10 g||3%|
|Sodium 40 mg||2%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Instructions for making Hot Pepper Jelly
- Place the Jalapeno Peppers and Vinegar into a Blender and LIQUIFY for 3 minutes.
- Place the chopped Green Peppers into the blender and Liquify for 3 more minutes
- Place the liquified mixture into a large Pot and add the Sugar and Salt.
- Bring the mixture to a Boil, stirring constantly.
- Once boiling add the Certo.
- Lower the heat and Cook for 1-2-minutes, stirring constantly
- Remove from the heat and allow to sit for about 5 minutes.
- Remove the foam from the top of the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the sterilized Jars
- Then stir in whatever food coloring you want into each jar. 11. Seal the Jars, and allow to cool. As the mixture cools, it will shrink and if your seal is good, the top will audibly "pop".
- You can add paraffin wax on the top of the mixture, before sealing, as with other Jelly recipes.
Jam and Jelly Maker
NOTES for the Chef
NOTE: This recipe, using only 1-cup of Jalapeno Peppers, with the seeds and ribs removed, is relatively mild.
The Spicy flavor can be kicked up, a bit, by adding several more chopped hot peppers when preparing the Jelly, or leave a few of the seeds in as little flavor surprises.
NOTE: The mixture is naturally a light greenish-yellow color, which is perfectly fine if you do not wish to use food colorings.
We added Red and Green food coloring to ours because we are giving them as gifts for the Holidays.
NOTE: I even use the Foam. When I scoop it off of the mixture, I put it into a large water glass, and place it into the fridge. Then for the next week or so, I have a nice treat eating it and a little Cream Cheese on crackers, for a snack occasionally. Why waste it?
NOTE: And, at times, we have made this spicy Jelly and canned it in small decorative jars and given them to friends as part of a seasonal gift basket.
A basket of small prepared food treats like this is an especially great gift for friends who do not enjoy cooking like we do.
© 2011 Don Bobbitt
More by this Author
A great collection of Recipes and ideas for using Yellow Squash. These recipes are simple, easy and designed to help you use all of those extra in-season Squash, at your leisure.
This is a great recipe for making your own Jalapeno Poppers for a party. It i an easy recipe to make, and can be made ahead of time, and warmed at the party for that hot fresh taste.
This article explains how one of the more popular Scams is being perpetrated on owners of RVs and Motorhomes. It is basically a Check kiting type of scam with a twist to use it on Motorhome sellers.