Great Meaty Soup Recipes: How To Make German Chowder with Turkey Sausage
What is the Difference Between Soup and Chowder?
Chowder by definition is a thicker soup with chunks of food contained within it whereas soup is defined as simply a mixture of meats and/or vegetables mixed into a broth. For the long winter months, chowders seem to fit the bill when it comes to making a delicious, warm and nutritious meal. This revamped recipe for German Sausage Chowder is guaranteed to fill you up and chase away the cold.
I usually make this soup on New Year's Eve if we are having a party. I make it beforehand on the stove and then put into a large crock-pot and serve with all kinds of different breads and biscuits along with mini pulled meat sandwiches. It is also a great thing to serve for a Super Bowl party - but it is equally delicious to serve for dinner along with a salad and a fresh loaf of French bread. This is a perfect recipe for pairing with my recipe for biscuits.
German Turkey Sausage Chowder Recipe
- 1 package of turkey kielbasa cut into pieces about 1/2-inch each
- 2 red potatoes peeled or skin on - cut into small chunks
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 2 cups chicken broth or water
- 3-5 carrots sliced
- 4 cups of shredded green cabbage
- 3 cups milk (nonfat works fine) divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1-1/2 cups shredded Swiss cheese (I have also used fontina)
- In a large soup pan or stockpot, combine the kielbasa, potatoes, onion, salt and pepper.
- Add water or broth and carrots.
- Bring to a boil, stir occasionally, then reduce the heat.
- Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are almost tender.
- Stir in the cabbage. Cook 10 minutes more or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in 2-1/2 cups of the milk.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup of milk with the flour and blend with a whisk.
- Stir this mixture into the soup.
- Cook on low heat stirring frequently until the chowder is thickened and bubbly.
- Add the cheese and cook and stir until it is melted.
- At this point, the chowder can be refrigerated or transferred to a crock-pot - keep on warm until serving time.
6 servings - I usually double the recipe at least for a party
More Chowder Ideas
Another Great Chowder
Buy at Amazon
More by this Author
Easy way to cook roast beef. This works with the toughest cuts of beef. Easy and delicious.
Learn how to make Clear Japanese Soup. It is super easy, super good and you can change it up with all kinds of additions.
In a tight economy, how much should you pay a pet sitter? It depends on many factors including what kind of pet, age of the pet, what the pet sitter has to do and even how far the pet sitter has to drive to take care...
No comments yet.