Ginger the wonder food
- May prevent motion sickness
- Can help to eradicate nausea
- May help to relieve menstrual cramps
- Raw or candied ginger may irritate oral tissue and other mucous membranes
Ginger is a modified root tuber widely used as a flavoring in preparing various food recipes and is also widely used as a medication.
FLAVORFUL FOLK REMEDY :
Ginger has a long and honored tradition in folk medicine, and for good reason, according to modern research that is exploring the scientific basis for ginger’s effects.
Recent studies have shown that beta ionone, a terpinoid found in ginger, has decided anti-cancer properties. Tumors induced in laboratory animals grow much more slowly if the animals are pretreated with beta ionone.
NAUSEA AND MOTION SICKNESS
Various forms of ginger – nonalcoholic ginger ale or beer, pills and candied ginger root – have been used to counter the nausea and vomiting of motion sickness. In Germany it is a government approved treatment for motion sickness and heartburn. It is an effective prescription medication in preventing motion sickness, without causing the drowsiness drugs sometimes do.
Sipping the ginger ale or sucking candied ginger, which has a more concentrated flavor, may help to quell spells of nausea due to morning sickness, food poisoning, gastroenteritis, or cancer chemotherapy. Ginger is available in capsule form for those who find that the candy is too strong or irritates the mouth.
Because ginger blocks the pro-inflammatory prostaglandins which are hormone-like chemicals, it may also be useful in helping people who suffer from the pain of :
- Migraines. These headaches are thought to be caused by inflammation in blood vessels in the brain. One study suggests that taking ginger at the first sign of a migraine can help to reduce the symptoms.
- Arthritis. Prostaglandins contribute to joint swelling in people with arthritis. Studies have shown that people with either osteo-arthritis or rheumatoid arthritis experienced less pain and swelling when they took powdered ginger daily.
ROOT REMEDY. Adding a slice or two of peeled ginger to bean dishes is said to reduce the flatulence these foods often cause.
SORE THROAT. Juice of ginger mixed with honey is a very effective remedy for sore throat and pharyngitis. Also ginger may be introduced in the body in the form of a decoction by boiling it in tea. This is effective in reducing throat inflammation and also in bringing down fever.
More by this Author
Eating less improves digestion by reducing dumping of extra food on digestive system. People who eat less live longer and have protection against obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure and ischemic heart disease.
Paya dish is a very delicious recipe made from goat or lamb legs and relished at homes as well as in restaurants. Here I have given the recipe of Paya dish as it is prepared in Bohra kitchens in India.
Gakhar is a Mughlai Bread made of wheat flour and consumed with vegetarian or non-vegetarian curried dishes.