Gingerbread Men Cookies
So Cute Around the Holidays!
A Classic Cookie, Loved the World Over
Combine butter icing with ginger for a delicious taste duo with these delicious gingerbread men cookies.
Gingerbread men are such a delight around Christmas time. And it's not just young ones that love them.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1-1 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup fancy molasses
- 2 tsp soda
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups flour
- Cream together butter and brown sugar.
- Add salt, spices, and molasses.
- Dissolve soda in water, then stir into batter.
- Add enough flour, mixing with a wooden spoon, until dough is stiff enough to roll out on a floured surface.
- Roll onto floured counter until 1/4" thick and cut out with gingerbread men cookie cutters. Cut your cookies on the thick side. This makes for a softer cookie.
Bake in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes, reduce heat as needed so cookies don't over-brown. Under-bake for a softer cookie.
Let cookies cool in pan before lifting out. This recipe makes about 2 dozen gingerbread men.
A Word About Cutters
Make sure your cutters are open, so that you can choose the thickness of your cookies.
Closed cutters are much harder to work with because cookie dough tends to stick to the "roof" part.
Baked Gingerbread Men Cookies Ready for Icing
While cookies have been set to cool, make a batch of butter icing:
- icing sugar
- milk to moisten
- Start with 1/2 cup of soft butter and beat with beaters.
- Add icing sugar to taste and continue beating.
- Add just enough milk to make a smooth icing.
You can make more icing if needed, depending on how much icing you use on your gingerbread men.
Icing Tips for Gingerbread Men Cookies
- It is easier to pipe icing to decorate these cookies. This gives you more control, if you choose to outline your cookies or add clothing.
- Piping can also be done to make eyes and hair.
How to Ice an Entire Cookie
- Another trick is to use a mudding tool that has a wide flat blade. You can make one long wide sweep of icing if you want to ice the entire cookie.
Iced Gingerbread Men Cookies With Sprinkles
- Mini m&ms, mini chocolate chips or Smarties can be used for eyes.
- Thin licorice for belts and hair.
- If you've iced the entire cookie, sprinkles add a festive touch.
- Sparkles can be used for arm and leg areas.
Store cookies in a tin or a lidded container. The soften as they sit.
So Much Fun
These cookies make a great gift around the holidays. Line a basket with brightly-colored tissue paper and add cookies.
Do You Like Gingerbread Men Cookies?See results without voting
© 2009 Athlyn Green
More by this Author
How do you make the best-ever biscuits? Learn the secrets to making delicious homemade biscuits that puff up mile-high.
This is the best recipe for ginger cookies. They are soft, spicy, and dusted with sugar.
If you've ever tried to add your blog to a blog directory, you've probably been asked to provide your blog's feed URL. Where the heck do you find it?