Gluten Free Chocolate Mint Cookies: You Won't Miss Your Thin Mints!
Paleo Cookies: Chocolate Mint
Looking for a great recipe for Paleo cookies? Chocolate mint Primal cookies will make you forget all about those Girl Scout Thin Mints that your friends are eating.
Make this simple recipe for tasty chocolate mint cookies that are chewy on the inside and lightly crispy on the outside.
If mint isn't your thing, leave out the peppermint extract. Add about a half-cup of chocolate chips instead, and you'll have a delicious Paleo chocolate chocolate chip cookie.
Paleo and Non-Paleo peeps alike love these Paleo cookies. Chocolate brings us all together to the table.
This recipe includes butter. If you follow a dairy-free diet, you may substitute coconut oil for the butter. You won't get exactly the same taste and texture, but they still come out scrumptious.
Butter from Grass-Fed Cows
Kerrygold is an imported butter from Ireland that is made from grass-fed cows' dairy. Like beneficial grass-fed beef, butter and cheese contain vital nutrients.
This butter is an excellent source of vitamin K2, a fat-soluble vitamin that is essential for strong bones and teeth. Is is any wonder that low bone density and rampant tooth decay have become so common since health authorities started telling everyone that butter is bad for you?
Before vitamin K2 was discovered, Weston A. Price knew this nutrient existed. He called it "Activator X". K2 got this nickname because there are two different proteins that need to be activated in order to (a) get calcium where it needs to go in your body, like the bones and teeth, and (b) keep calcium out of the soft tissue, like the arteries (think: calcified arteries that lead to heart attack).
Today, more people use vegetable oil-based margarines, thinking this is a healthier option than butter. Nothing is further from the truth. Well, it's up there with things that are really, really far from the truth. That's a long list.
Almond Flour: Make it Yourself and Save Some Dough
You can buy prepared almond flour or you can easily make it yourself.
Purchase sliced or slivered almonds--preferably blanched--and grind them up in a coffee grinder or food processor. It only takes about 10 seconds, and that's all you need to make almond flour that can be used in any recipe that calls for it.
It's important to sift out the remaining small chunks of almond before certain recipes, but you can leave them in for this one. If you use the sliced or slivered almonds, you won't have very many pieces left over.
This isn't an issue if you're using the prepared almond flour that you buy at the store.
Paleo Cookies: Chocolate Mint
- 1 cup chocolate chips, (1/2 cup + 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup, grade B
- 2 egg yolks
- Over low heat, melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips and peppermint extract. Allow to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together egg yolks, maple syrup, and 1/2 cup melted butter.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the egg mixture.
- Stir in the chocolate peppermint.
- On a parchment-lined cookie sheet, add tablespoonfuls of cookie batter, about 2 inches apart. If you don't have parchment, you can grease the sheet instead.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- While cookies are baking, melt the other 1/2 cup of chocolate chips and 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat. Allow to cool.
- Cool cookies on wire racks. Spread melted chocolate in a swirling motion over the tops of the cookies. Refrigerate.
I make my own almond flour by grinding blanched almonds in a coffee grinder (you could also use a food processor or blender), but Bob's Red Mill is a popular choice for prepared almond flour.
More Paleo Goodies
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Bread
A moist and flavorful gluten-free pumpkin bread that tastes as delicious as it smells! This holiday treat will delight friends and family who will never believe gluten-free pumpkin bread is made without wheat or refined sugar.
- Gluten Free Banana Bread | Gluten and Dairy Free Recipes
This honey-sweetened gluten-free banana bread is light, moist, and tasty. It is a simple recipe that's sure to be a hit, even among the gluten eaters in your life!
- Paleo Pumpkin Pie | Gluten and Dairy Free Recipes
Don't be fooled by the gluten- free, dairy- free part- this Paleo pumpkin pie is awesome.
- Gluten-Free Banana Muffins | A Simple Paleo Muffin Recipe
This gluten-free, dairy-free, paleo-friendly banana muffin recipe is easy to whip up on the fly. Using coconut flour, coconut oil, and sweetened with raw honey, these banana muffins are light, moist, and fluffy.
© Liz Davis 2012 Paleo Cookies: Chocolate Mint
More by this Author
Making homemade sauerkraut is quick and simple. It's healthier than store-bought sauerkraut, containing more beneficial bacteria since it hasn't been processed. It also saves money, which is a bonus!
You'll love this simple strawberry banana gluten free muffins recipe. These gluten-free muffins make a tasty treat for any time of the day!
Would you like to make some extra cash selling valuable items on eBay? Many effective eBay sellers vlog their experiences, helping both new and experienced sellers enjoy success in their enterprises.