Gluten-Free Cupcake Recipe - Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
When life gives you lemons, turn them into lemon cupcakes! Eh, I guess that's not how the old saying goes. Whatever. I'm baking some gluten-free lemon poppy seed cupcakes today. Sorry I can't send you these yummy treats, but I'm more than happy to share the recipe. As usual, my gluten-free dessert recipe utilizes low-fat and healthy ingredients, so you should be able to enjoy these cupcakes guilt-free (or maybe with just a little bit of guilt). The calorie and nutrition info can be found at the end of the page. Bon appetit, everyone!
Please Rate This Gluten-Free Dessert Recipe
Tweaking This Cupcake Recipe for Certain Diet Restrictions
- If you have cholesterol or heart problems, use an egg substitute instead of one whole egg.
- If you have diabetes, make sure you use brown rice flour. Also, instead of 1/2 cup of sugar, use 1/4 cup of sugar and 4 packets of stevia. Forgo the glaze and opt for sugar-free frosting if you like.
- If you're a vegan, replace margarine, egg and sour cream with vegan margarine, egg substitute and soy yogurt. (Although regular margarine is not dairy-based, it often contains trace amounts of dairy and animal products.)
Ingredients for Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes
- 1/4 cup margarine, trans-fat-free and cholesterol-free
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp gluten-free vanilla extract***
- 1 egg lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp baking powder***
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
***Not all brands of vanilla extract are gluten-free. If you're on a strict gluten-free diet, it's wise to read the label before you buy. The gluten ingredient that you have to watch out for is grain alcohol.***
***Baking powder is usually gluten-free but not always so. The gluten ingredients that may be found in some brands of baking powder include wheat starch, modified food starch or dextrine. So check the label and make sure the baking powder you're buying does not contain any of these ingredients.***
To learn more about gluten-free ingredients and find out how to grocery shop on the cheap, visit Gluten-Free Shopping Tips.
How to Make These Gluten-Free Cupcakes from Scratch
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream margarine and sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Since this is a small portion, you may use either a whisk or a big fork for this process. If you are planning to make a much bigger batch of cupcake batter, however, an electric mixer is recommended.
- Add vanilla extract, egg, low-fat sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Mix together until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together rice flour, cornstarch, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make sure there are no lumps in your flour mixture.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture. Whisk together until thick (but not too thick) and well-blended. If you use an electric mixer, mix it at medium-low speed for about 15 seconds.
- Line your cupcake tins with paper liners. Fill about 2/3 of each cup with your gluten-free cupcake batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 20 - 25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- When your lemon poppy seed cupcakes are done, take them out of the oven and cupcake tins. Allow them to cool on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, make your lemon glaze. (recipe follows)
- Drizzle each cupcake with lemon glaze, then garnish with candied lemon zest (optional). Enjoy!
How to Make Candied Lemon Zest
Ingredients: zest of 1 large lemon, 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup water
Preparation: Cut the lemon peel into long, thin strips. Blanch the lemon strips in 1 cup of warm water and drain well. (This process will get rid of the bitterness.) In a small saucepan, bring sugar and 1/2 of water to a boil. Stir constantly until the sugar is completely dissolved. Lower the heat to simmer, then add the blanched lemon zest. Let it cook on simmer for about 45 - 60 minutes, or until the lemon zest is soft and translucent. Once your candied lemon zest is done, remove it from the syrup. Allow it to cool and dry on a baking sheet or a plate.
Lemon Glaze Recipe for Your Gluten-Free Cupcakes
Ingredients: 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 2 tbsps fresh lemon juice
Preparation: Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until all the sugar is completely dissolved. Use it to glaze your cupcakes immediately. Don't let it sit in the bowl.
Calorie and Nutrition Information for Each Cupcake (Without the Glaze and Candied Lemon Zest)
|Serving size: 1 cupcake|
|Calories from Fat||108|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 12 g||18%|
|Saturated fat 4 g||20%|
|Unsaturated fat 5 g|
|Carbohydrates 35 g||12%|
|Sugar 18 g|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 42 mg||14%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Looking for More Gluten-Free Cupcake Recipes?
More by this Author
A delicious gluten-free cornbread recipe with demonstration video, pictures and nutrition information.
An easy gluten-free dessert with a fun twist. Learn how to make it with these step-by-step instructions and pictures!
The article explores the history and philosophy of the Japanese rock garden, in addition to giving step-by-step instructions on how to design and build one.