Gluten Free, Grain Free Blueberry Muffin Recipe Step by Step
Gluten Free, Grain Free Blueberry Muffins
If you're following a gluten free or grain free diet then you probably struggle with ideas for what to eat for breakfast. The following recipe is perfect. It's completely gluten free and also complies with the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) used by many individuals with ulcerative colitis, crohn's disease, autism, and apserger's syndrome. But the best part is that they taste delicious. My 11 year old son follows the SCD and he loves these muffins even though he's a very picky eater. They can be whipped up in no time and if you're inclined, you can swap out the blueberries for other tasty additions like bananas, walnuts, apples, and cinnamon. Below you'll find step-by-step instructions with pictures for how to make these delicious gluten free, grain free blueberry muffins.
- The Specific Carbohydrate Diet: Simple SCD Recipes ...
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) was developed by Dr. Sydney Hass and later popularized by Elaine Gottshall, who treated her daughter using it. Although originally developed to treat celiac and Crohn's disease, it is now commonly being used to tr
- The Specific Carbohydrate Diet: SCD Benefits for Au...
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet, originally used to treat celiac and Crohn's disease, provides numerous benefits to children with autism and Asperger's Syndrome. These benefits include less anxiety, better mood, more focus, better motor skills, fewer
Gather Your Ingredients
Some of the ingredients in these muffins are not widely available so as a first step, you'll need to gather what you need, as shown in the photo below. Ingredients and sources include:
- Blanched almond flour - (3 cups) This is the ingredient that will be the most difficult to find. I purchase it in bulk Online from www.justalmonds.com. You can also find it in smaller quantities at natural food stores like Whole Foods but you'll pay more per pound.
- Honey - (1/2 cup) Honey is widely available. If you follow the Specific Carbohydrate Diet make sure that it's pure honey with no added corn syrup or sugar. Costco sells 80 oz bottles of honey for about $12.00, a great deal!
- Eggs (4 whole)
- Unsweetened apple sauce (1 cup) - Note that if you're following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you should use homemade unsweentened apple sauce instead of store bought.
- Baking soda (1 tsp)
- Salt (1/2 tsp)
- White vinegar (1 tsp)
- Fresh or frozen blueberries (1.5 cups) - I save money by purchasing frozen, unsweetened blueberries from Costco.
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees. Then beat four whole eggs in a large mixing bowl until frothy.
2. Add 3 cups of blanched almond flour and honey to the beaten eggs.
3. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon vinegar. The reaction between the baking soda and the vinegar will cause some bubbling. This reaction helps the muffins rise in the absence of baking yeast.
4. Add the applesauce and stir well until mixed through.
5. Prepare your muffin tin by inserting paper muffin liners and spraying with Pam Cooking Spray. If you're following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, you should use regular cooking oil instead of Pam.
6. Stir in blueberries, being careful not to crush them.
7. Spoon mixture into muffin cups and place in 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown.
- The Health Benefits of Coconut Oil and How to Use it...
Using coconut oil can provide many health benefits.
Store the muffins in a gallon size freezer bag or airtight tupperware container in the refrigerator. Enjoy! These are very good with coconut oil spread on the top.
More by this Author
For children on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, birthdays and holidays can leave them feeling sad and left out. While everyone else is eating cake, candy and cookies, the child on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet may be...
The Specific Carbohydrate Diet (SCD) was developed by Dr. Sydney Hass and later popularized by Elaine Gottshall, who treated her daughter using it. Although originally developed to treat celiac and Crohn's disease, it...
Use this free pattern to knit a Minecraft Hat in no time. It's easy, warm and fun!