Homemade Gluten-Free Granola Recipe With Oats: Dairy-Free, Too
Sweet and crunchy oat-based granola is a breakfast cereal many people who must keep to a gluten-free diet loathe giving up. Not just the wheat germ, but the oats are the gluten-containing culprit. Oats don't contain gluten per se, but they are frequently grown on land shared with wheat crops. Due to the chance of cross-contamination, people suffering from gluten intolerance or celiac disease are advised to avoid oat products such as commercially produced granola. This homemade gluten-free granola recipe is also dairy-free and doesn't use refined sugar. Gluten-free granola can be used as a snack or breakfast cereal, as a crumb topping or in other recipes.
Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- large mixing bowl
- large cookie sheet with rim
- 1 cup 100% pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups gluten-free rolled oats
- 1 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 tsp cinnamon (gluten-free)
- 1/4 tsp ginger root powder, gluten-free (optional)
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dried dates, cranberries or raisins
Gluten-Free Granola Recipe Instructions
- Obtain a supply of certified gluten-free oats. The author of this article has used and enjoyed Bob's Red Mill gluten-free oats. Use only gluten-free spices.
- Preheat the oven to 325 (Fahrenheit). Oil the cookie sheet. You can also use a 9 1/2" X 13" baking dish in lieu of the cookie sheet (or in addition to it).
- Mix together the maple syrup and the olive oil.
- Toss the dry ingredients, minus the dates/raisins/cranberries, together in a mixing bowl.
- Toss the maple syrup mixture with the oats mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until it the raw granola is uniformly sticky.
- Spread the oats mixture loosely on the cookie sheet in as thin a layer as possible.
- Bake in the preheated 325 degree oven for 45-60 minutes. Check the oats after 45 minutes to see if they are done--a golden brown and strong aroma indicates done.
- If you are using the deeper baking dish, toss the mixture every 20 minutes and bake for an extra 10-15 minutes.
- Add the dried raisins or other fruit. Cool the granola before serving.
- If the granola is too chewy, next time add 1/4 cup more honey to the recipe.
Pure Maple Syrup
© 2009 Chris Telden
More by this Author
Review of All Clad Cookware I bought several years ago, including 2 quart saucepan with lid, frying pan, and dutch oven.
For his hemochromatosis-friendly diet, we made a list of cold breakfast cereals that did not have added iron fortification and were also naturally low in iron, which granola, alas, being oats, is not.
The best shoes for plantar fasciitis offer good arch support and motion control for your foot. I've compiled recommendations for running shoes, dress shoes and walking shoes that can help with heel pain and a torn or...