Gourmet Cake Recipe: Root Beer Float
If you believe that there are three cake flavors: Chocolate, Yellow and Vanilla—or even worse, “white”—then you need to try this. There is a world of gourmet cake flavors. One cake flavor that always pleases is Root Beer Float. Try this easy to make, no fail recipe:
- 2 boxes white cake mix
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 2/3 cups root beer
- 16 ounces plain vanilla yogurt
- 8 egg whites
- 1/4 cup vegtable oil
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 drams LoRann root beer flavor
- Mix together cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt
- Mix in remaining ingredients one at a time in order listed
- Make sure items are blended well
- Bake at 350 degrees until toothpick comes out of center clean
Special Noteson Cake:
- 1 Dram = ~3/4 teaspoon , if you can’t find LoRann’s you may substitute another root beer extract
- This recipe yields a large amount and a Kitchen-Aid Mixer is probably desired.
- Bake, Decorate, and Celebrate has an excellent guide for pan conversions and cooking times
- Bake cake 2-3 days ahead of time, wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then foil, and place in freezer; this will make the cake extra moist.
- Level and frost while frozen. Serve thawed.
If you are not making a sheet cake or you plan on layering your cake, you will want to use a gourmet filling. An excellent filling for the Root Beer Float cake is White Chocolate Truffle filling. It is decadent and doesn’t get lost with the root beer flavor.
- 16 oz cream cheese, softened
- 4 cups white chocolate chips (2 bags)
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla
- 2 cups powder sugar, sifted
- Beat the cream cheese.
- Melt the white chocolate and butter together in microwave; beat into cream cheese.
- Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Beat well. It thickens as it cools.
- You can soften it for a few seconds in the microwave if it gets too thick to spread.
Special Notes on Filling:
- Real white chocolate (i.e., Ghirardelli) and will make the filling very sweet. For a less sweet flavor use white chocolate flavored chips (i.e., Nestle).
- Add butterscotch extract for a butterscotch filling and have a Butter Beer Cake, ala Harry Potter
Frost with your favorite recipe.
- Impress your friends
More by this Author
Spice up your sex life. Learn how to put the spark back into the bedroom. Marriage does not have to be the end of sex.
Love the look of fondant but the taste of buttercream frosting? Find out how to make a smooth cake with a combination of the upside down method and the viva paper towel/wax paper method when frosting with buttercream...