Grandma's Famous Buttermilk Pancakes
More Family Recipes
- The Best Apple Crisp Ever
If you like apples, this dessert is like heaven. Apple pie? No! This Apple Crisp is even better! Easy to make and easy to enjoy.
- Marry Me Cheesecake: So Good He'll Propose
Looking for a delicious cheesecake recipe? You found it! This is the best recipe you'll find. Give it a try to let us hear your own proposal story.
So good, you'll never eat Bisquick again
These fluffy buttermilk pancakes are a famous recipe in my family (and with my friends now too). I'm not sure where the original recipe came from but in my family they are known as (Great)-Grandma's Pancakes.
These are seriously the best pancakes you will ever taste. I'm actually a bit hesitant to share the recipe because it feels a bit like sharing a really good secret, but I just don't think I can hold this secret in any longer.
This recipe has been at the forefront of my cooking/baking repertoire for as long as I've been cooking. In college, I would sometimes bring a batch of these pancakes made in silver dollar size. They were so well received that the lecture was regularly interrupted by "pass the bucket down this way!"
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, SEPARATED
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teasppoon salt
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Mix everything (including yolks) except egg whites - which should be reserved in a small bowl when eggs are separated.
- Beat egg whites to soft peaks.
- Gently fold frothy egg whites into the rest of the batter.
- Cook on lightly greased griddle.
- Flip when no new bubbles are forming and the edges begin to look dry.
- Do NOT flatten with spatula after flipping - allow them to be wonderfully fluffy.
- Enjoy warm with any number of pancake toppings: syrup, powdered sugar, fruit topping, etc. Or eat them plain (you'd be surprised about how good they are, even cold and plain).
To Make a Huge Batch (1.5 times recipe)
Our huge family almost always needed to make an enormous batch, so here's the recipe for a larger batch:
- 3 cups Buttermilk
- 3 cups Flour
- 3/4 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs (separated)
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 3/8 cup Vegetable Oil
More by this Author
Trying to learn Spanish? SpanishPod101.com just might be the right podcast to help you succeed in learning the language.
Spanish for a medical professionals. This hub includes some of the most useful phrases and commands in Spanish in order to do a basic physical exam.
- 1Scholarships and Loan Repayment Options for Physicians, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Certified Nurse Midwi
Are you a medical professions student looking for a scholarship or loan repayment program to help pay off your school debt? Check out this list of resources - both federal and state.
No comments yet.