Grandma's Hamburger Soup
I can remember this as a child. My Grandmother alway made this and it quickly became one of my favorites. A great soup for the end of the week to use up what was left of your vegetables. So with that in mind, the details of the recipe can be changed with what is on hand and in season. Savory and filling, great for a stand alone meal or with a salad or bread. Hamburger can be boiled raw and does not need the time of most meats to cook down and stay tender. I hope you enjoy this soup as well as my family, especially in the cooler months to come. Also great to make and freeze for future meals, as the barley will freeze well.
Try it and let me know what you think.....
- 1/2# hamburger
- 1/2 cup pearled barley, dried and uncooked
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1 stalk celery, diced or sliced
- 1/2 cup green beans, fresh, canned or frozen
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- 1/2 medium size tomato or roma
- 2 tsp salt and pepper
- 1 tsp. dried or fresh thyme and parsley, chopped fine
- Fill a pot with 8-10 cups of water with a dash of salt. Put on high and start to add ingredients as the water heats up, except for the barley.
- When it comes to a boil turn down to medium, creating a slow rolling boil.
- When veggies are almost cooked, add barley and stir. Continue to boil for 10-15 minutes and pull off heat when barley is tender and done.
- Serve immediately by itself or with salad or bread accompaniments.
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Carbohydrates 18 g||6%|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 16 g||32%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
More by this Author
5 great ways to use one of the staples in your pantry for quick meal idea
Here is the answer to the age old question. Below are five recipes and meal plans for a week of dinners accompanied by a small grocery list to create them; all under 30 dollars. The amount of food is plenty for 2-4...
A quick and easy cheesecake recipe that takes only a few minutes to prepare with a pre-made graham cracker crust. Everyone will love this!