Granny Smith Apple Cake Recipe
Tart Granny Smith Apples
Granny Smith apples are tart, crisp apples full of flavor. This cake takes advantage of their flavor profile as a spiced apple cake. It is a one-bowl mix, meaning you just need one bowl when preparing the cake mix. This recipe uses a tube pan for presentation; if using for a brunch item, drizzle with a powdered sugar glaze before serving.
If Granny Smith apples aren't available, try making this cake with other apple varieties. Jonagold or Pippins are good alternatives to Granny Smiths in this recipe. Also, while this recipe calls for grated apples, chopped apples may also be used if they are chopped fine.
Serve with cinnamon-flavored sweetened whipped cream.
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups grated apples, Granny Smith variety
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- Sift the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon together in the bowl of a stand-up mixer. If using a hand mixer, sift into a large mixing bowl.
- Add in the grated apples, eggs, oil, and vanilla, and beat the ingredients together using medium speed for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped nuts.
- Pour into a greased and floured tube pan.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until a cake tester comes out clean, about an hour.
- Rest the cake for about 5 minutes before inverting onto a cooling rack. Let cool completely, and serve.
Tube and Baking Pan Choices for This Cake
More by this Author
Biscuits are supposed to be light, fluffy, moist and at times either rich, savory or sweet. If biscuits are tough and heavy, then a few things could be the problem. Here are some reasons why biscuits may be tough or...
A matignon is a little-referred to term for an important part of cooking. It is a combination of vegetables and other flavorful ingredients (bacon and ham are two popular additions), and can be used as an ingredient or...
You don't need a special embroidery machine to do machine embroidery. Machine embroidery can be done with a standard sewing machine. Here are the steps to complete the task.