Grapefruit Juice Smoothie - 'Grapefruit Cream' Recipe
What is Grapefruit Cream?
'Grapefruit Cream' is a name I coined for a wholesome drink I discovered and made for myself many times. The drink is essentially a grapefruit "smoothed" over: an entire grapefruit (minus the skin) combined with ice and blended into wholesome goodness. By using the entire grapefruit (pith, fiber, seeds and all) an almost creamy (hence the name) and thicker creation emerges after the blender works its magic. Technically, this may be considered a smoothie as juices have little to none of the original plant fiber. However, some may even call this "juice" as it's entirely grapefruit with no other ingredients. For simplicity, I refer to this as a smoothie but with reference to the grapefruit juice present.
Why Drink Grapefruit Cream?
This smoothie is easy to make, refreshing to drink and an healthy, delicious alternative to other options.
It is easily a part of a health-promoting diet (think phytochemicals, antioxidants, fiber, vitamins, minerals) and helps to hydrate you; did you know that you obtain water from eating fresh fruits and vegetables just as you would downing your typical 8 cups daily?
Likewise, including the fiber of the entire grapefruit as opposed to just drinking its juice alone helps to satiate you, even making you feel somewhat full. It's great for hotter weather or especially after a good workout or sweat session at the gym.
Remember: peeled grapefruit + ice + blending = grapefruit cream (smoothie)
- Take a red grapefruit (or any other kind will do), peel it, leave the pith, and place it into your blender. Some blenders can handle whole fruit while others may require that you section the grapefruit first.
- Add 1/2 cup to 1 cup of ice to the blender. (As the ice breaks down and melts, it will help to liquefy and smooth the grapefruit along with its own juice into that nice creamy blend).
- Blend on high or your blender's 'liquefy' setting for at least 1 minute or more. (There should be no chunks of ice or grapefruit left. One homogenized liquid should emerge. You will see some foam on top.)
- Serve immediately (with or without the foam) and enjoy.
Like most things adjustments can be made to your liking. Here are a few suggestions:
- Choose red or pink grapefruits for a sweeter taste. Yellow grapefruits tend to be more tart. Whichever you go with, choose the freshest you can find.
- Keep grapefruits chilled in the refrigerator.
- Keep plenty of ice on hand in your freezer (it's a drag when you want something cool and refreshing and there's no ice around).
- Grapefruit seeds can be a bit bitter. If you prefer not to have them, remove them before placing the fruit into the blender. Same for the pith however, there are known health benefits to consuming the entire fruit.
- Quality blenders really make a difference for this whole fruit smoothie. It's fine if you don't own a Vita-Mix or BlendTec blender but it certainly helps if your blender is strong and powerful as it can help release some of the phytonutrients within the plant and enhance the mouth-feel of the drink.
- If you prefer or would rather have grapefruit juice alone, you can blend the fruit contents and run the smoothie through a cheesecloth, nut milk bag or fine mesh strainer. This is a good option for those who do not have access to a juicer. You can read more related information here at Joanna Verdan's hub on juicing with a Vita-Mix blender.
- Experiment and see what you come up with that works for you.
- If you have extra, store it in a mason jar for minimal exposure to air and ensuring freshness. Drink it within 24 hours or less.
- Last but not least: ENJOY!
***Additional Note: consumption of grapefruits or grapefruit juice are not recommended for people taking certain medications. Please consult your healthcare practitioner if you have any concerns or take medications.
More by this Author
LisaW123 Lest you think a relationship with a child occurs only after he or she is born, think again. There are various ways to “connect” to a baby on the way and plant the seeds of a long-term...
Ginger is widely known in the East for its warming properties; if you’ve ever tasted fresh ginger you can attest to this. Natural compounds found in ginger not only enhance culinary dishes with an extra zing, they...
Almond butter has seen its popularity rise as a delicious and healthy alternative to peanut butter. Its wonderful taste, numerous health benefits and versatility has placed it on the mainstream food map as a choice with...
No comments yet.