Great Italian tomato sauce recipe for pastas and patties
Would you like topping up your pastas, pizzas, patties with this tomato sauce?See results without voting
Italian tomato sauce recipe is yummy
There are many varieties of sauces used around the world, but for an Italian, sauce is the word they use for toppings on pasta, patties, and other creations. Historically, this sauce has been in Italy's tradition since many centuries, as this is the basic sauce that serves as the foundation for their other dishes such as Eggplant Parmigiana, etc. This is also a great recipe to freeze for multiple uses.
One large can (about 792 grams) chunky crushed plum or Roma tomatoes (They frequently have a leaf of basil added, and that should be the preference; but if you cannot find it, it will still be okay.)
Two small cans Italian seasoned tomato paste (about 340 grams total). Contadina makes an outstanding seasoned tomato paste, and I would recommend the Italian seasoned for one and the roasted garlic for the second can. If you cannot find both, opt for the Italian seasoned. Failing finding the seasoned tomato paste, worry about getting the tomato paste. That's your biggest concern. If you are located in Delhi, you can buy Contadina sauces in South Delhi.
Italian Tomato Sauce is Full of Nutritional Value
- 1/2 tomato paste can of water
- 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 Italian seasoning to taste
- Basil to taste
- Oregano to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Seasoned salt, not much, but to taste
- In a 2-liter pot (If you are adding meatballs, you will need a larger pot), put in the tomatoes, the tomato paste and the bay leaf. Do not throw away the cans yet! Take that half tomato paste can of water and pour it into the large empty can of tomatoes. Swish it around to get every bit of the tomato out of that can and then pour it into the first tomato paste can. Take a spoon and scrape the first tomato paste can till as clean as you can get it, and then pour all of this into the other tomato paste can and do the same thing. If you have a little left in the cans after this when you pour the final amount into the pot, take about another couple of tablespoons (30 mL) of water in the cans and do that one additional time and pour that into the pot.
- Turn the flame on as low as you can and cover the pot for at least an hour. Then add your seasonings to taste, as I described above. Continue to simmer the sauce until piping hot.
- Turn off the flame for about an hour so the seasonings can do their thing, and then turn the sauce on again to simmer about another hour or so. Stir frequently to avoid the sauce burning on the bottom of the pot, and do not ever use a metal spoon to stir.
Nutritional value for Italian tomato sauce
|Serving size: 1 (256 g)|
|Calories from Fat||63|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 7 g||11%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 6 g|
|Carbohydrates 21 g||7%|
|Sugar 12 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 4 g||8%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
When you serve the sauce, do not leave any metal utensils in the pot, and remove the sauce from the pot as soon as possible. Metal will make the sauce taste tinny. This is a great basic sauce made even better when you use it the next day. You can use it on pasta, on lightly fried breaded chicken patties and topped with Parmesan, Romano, and mozzarella cheeses and baked at 350°F (176°C) about 20 to 25 minutes or so till the cheeses melt, or even just served with garlic bread for a special treat.
For non-vegetarians, you can simmer pieces of chicken in this sauce as well and you can frequently cook large pieces of chicken in this sauce to serve chicken a bit differently. You can also remove the chicken from the sauce and use that for a separate meal, but the chicken is fine for a meal on its own in this way.
More by this Author
This story is based on a true incident that happened in a government medical college in India.
Milk and dairy products have a big role in cooking because milk products are added in various recipes and cooking preparations such as sauces, creams, ice cream, fruit creams, etc. Also, if you want to prepare a royal...
If you want to experience ultimate thrill, adventure, and a day full of excitement and fun, then Adventure Island, Rohini, is the best place in Delhi.