Great Recipe of Pilaf, Pilav, Pulav, Pilau, Palaw, Plov– you name it
Great Recipe of Pilaff, Pilaf, Pilau, Pilav, Palaw, Plov – you name it – it is great!!!
I learned this recipe from my parents with some additions from other relative and friends. If you follow this recipe you’ll enjoy a rich flavor meal that I like very much. There are so many manes from Pilaf that I decided to enlist the most used ones in the title. Pilaf is a dish originating from the East, consisting of rice flavored with spices and meat/poultry/or fish may be added. Pilaf is a traditional meal in such countries as Uzbekistan, Azerbaijan, Tajikistan, Iran, Afghanistan, Turkey and others.
What is your meat choice?
What king of meat do you prefer with your pilaf?See results without voting
- 2 pounds meat (pork, lamb)
- 1 onion
- 2 carrots
- 1,5 cups of rice, (Jasmine)
- 1 tomato, Or tomato past
- 3 cups of hot water
- A bit of Coriander Powder, Cardamom, Turmeric, Cumin, Grounded Black Pepper, Red Bell Peppers, Some cooks also add Clove, Cassia Bark, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, Saffron, Dill, Bay Leaves.
Do not forget the tomato
Grated tomato will provide a bit of sourness to the meal that goes so good with the meat meals.
- Pour some frying oil (corn, sunflower) on the frying pan. Wash and cut the meat into pretty small squares and fry it until the meat will turn brownish (about 20-30 minutes). Stir the meat from time to time to avoid burning. Almost at the end of this step add Salt and spices including the most important Coriander Powder, Cardamom, Turmeric, Cumin, Ground Allspice, Ground Black Pepper, Red Bell Peppers, Chile Powder; others also add Clove, Cassia Bark, Cinnamon, and Nutmeg, Saffron, Dill, Bay Leaves.
- In the meanwhile boil 3 cups of water in a big pan. Add the fried meat to the boiling water, turn heat to very low and cook for 30 minutes (put timer on 30 minutes, it will be helpful). Add 2-3 Bay Leaves, 4-5 whole Allspices, salt.
- While the meat is boiling cut the onion into small squares and start frying in the same frying pan as the meat. After about 8-10 minutes add carrots cut into small rectangular shape. Fry instill the veggies turn brownish a bit. Stir the veggies constantly to avoid it to be burnt.
- Add fried veggies to the pan with meat in the boiling water and keep on low until your timer from step 2 will indicate that 30 minutes ended.
- In the meanwhile put 1,5 cups of rice into a container and wash in cold water for 5-6 times until the water will be transparent. Then pour all water away and empty the rice into the boiling pan. Grate the tomato to the pan. Make sure that the rice is spread evenly and covered with water. The general rule is that the rice should be covered with water and the measure is 2 fingers set horizontally (forefinger and middle finger about 1.3 inches). Because some water evaporated you may be needed to add half of a cup of hot water to the pan. Cook it for 25 minutes on extremely low heat so it does not burn. After 25-minutes term expires check whether the rice is cooked well. If it is hard and there is no water in the pan add some more hot water and cook some extra time.
Lamb vs pork?
In the Middle East and in many other countries they use lamb for Pilaf. Using lamb instead of pork will enrich the meal with a great flavor.
Would you dare to cook pilaf?See results without voting
Odd Cooking Tips
- Generally, the more fat it is in the meat the better for the dish. Nevertheless it is up to you how much fat you want to consume. People from the Middle East are fine with consuming much of it.
- Also some people do not like the smell of lamb.To get rid of the the smell you may soak the lamb in a solution of vinegar and cool water (6 table spoons of vinegar for ½ of gallon).
- If you want to experience the real Eastern Way use your hand instead of a fork. Easterners eat Pilaf with hand and the oil drain on their hand.
More by this Author
Different nations wear weeding wrings on different hands and fingers. what is the reason for this? This hub will help you find out some insights.
Find answers to some question about tungsten carbide wedding rings!!!! What are the advantages and myths about Tungsten Carbide Wedding Bands? PROS and CONS of having a Tungsten carbide wedding band?