Ground Beef-Vegetable- Potato- Casserole Recipe
Oven Baked Beef and Vegetable Casserole
Cook Time for Hearty Casserole
Hearty and Delicious Hamburger/Vegetable Casserole
This is one of my favorite recipe's during the winter. It's a 'feel good' casserole that makes you feel warm during the cold months. It's also a favorite during any baseball or football game, and sure to please even the pickiest of eaters. I find the washing and cutting of the vegetables a enjoyable and relaxing process. I hope you enjoy my hearty beef and vegetable casserole recipe.
NOTE: I also make this dish with pork chops. You follow the same instructions minus browning the burger. Just place the rinsed pork chops on top of the vegetables and add one packet of Lipton Onion Soup Mix.
Definition of Casserole
According to Wikipedia, a casserole is a large, deep dish used both in the oven and as a serving vessel. The word is also used for the food cooked and served in such a vessel, with the cookware itself called a casserole dish or casserole pan
Ingredients in a Casserole
According to Wikipedia, Casseroles in the United States or continental Europe usually consist of pieces of meat (such as chicken) or fish (such as tuna), various chopped vegetables, a starchy binder such as flour, rice, potato or pasta and, often, a crunchy or cheesy topping. Liquids are released from the meat and vegetables during cooking, and further liquid in the form of stock, wine, beer, or vegetable juice may be added when the dish is assembled. Casseroles are usually cooked slowly in the oven, often uncovered. They may be served as a main course or a side dish, and may be served in the vessel in which they were cooked.
Ingredients for Ground Beef and Vegetable Casserole
- 2 Pounds Ground Beef
- 1 Large White Onion, Diced
- 3 Celery Stalks, Sliced
- 3 Whole Carrots, Sliced
- 1 Box Fresh Mushrooms, Sliced
- 3 Large Potatoes, Fresh or Canned
- 1 Can Green Beans, Optional
- 1 Can Corn, Optional
- 1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 3/4 Cup Milk
- Salt and Pepper, To Taste
Instructions for Beef and Vegetable Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown hamburger in skillet and drain fat.
- Slice potatoes, celery, mushrooms, onions and carrots.
- In a casserole dish, layer the ingredients beginning with the potatoes at the bottom.
- Add sliced vegetables on top of potatoes.
- (Optional) Drain corn and green beans and add to sliced vegetables.
- Add the cooked ground beef on top of vegetables.
- Mix the cream of mushroom soup with 3/4 cup milk in separate bowl.
- Pour cream of mushroom mixture over top of casserole.
- Put casserole in preheated oven for approximately one hour.
Casserole before and after Baking
Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup
Other Hearty Recipe's by Minnetonka Twin
- Fall off your Fork Chicken Cacciatore
This is my mother's delicious recipe for Chicken Cacciatore. The bone-in chicken is cooked with Italian spices and simmered in a white wine sauce. The meat is so tender it will fall off your fork.
- Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
A simple but flavorful chicken dish with Italian spices and a Creamy Mushroom Sauce.
- Spaghetti al Pomodoro with Chicken
A delicious hot pasta and chicken recipe.
© 2011 Linda Rogers
More by this Author
A easy copycat recipe for Olive Garden Salad and Italian Dressing.
A simple recipe for Cornish Game Hen.
The painful story of how I lost friends after I was diagnosed with cancer. I'd heard from my cancer therapist that it's actually a common phenomenon, but I never thought it would happen to me.