Green Beans with Feta Cheese
Garden Fresh Green Beans
When I was growing up, my mother either boiled the green beans to mush and drowned them in butter, or boiled them with bacon and onion. I still enjoy beans with bacon, but sometimes I want something with a fresher, lighter flavor. Green beans with feta are sauteed in olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and fresh cracked pepper. The feta cheese adds a bit of tanginess that brings out the freshness of the beans and lemon.
1 pound fresh green beans, cleaned and stem end cut off
2 cups water
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 clove garlic, minced
Juice of half lemon
Fresh ground black pepper
- Bring the water to a boil in a large skillet. Add the beans, season lightly with salt, cover and boil for 4 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and drain the beans into a colander.
- Heat the oil and butter in the skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced, fresh garlic. Saute the garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add the drained beans and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Toss the beans to coat evenly with the oil and butter.
- Cook the beans over medium heat for another four minutes, or until tender but still crisp.
- Remove the beans from the heat. Serve hot, sprinkled with feta cheese and a lemon wedge.
Comments 3 comments
More by this Author
With several grapevines growing in our yard, we typically have more than we can use in the season. The grape harvest doesn't last that long. Most of them ripen at just about the same time. And, they have to be picked as...
Aioli pizza, or white pizza, has a flavor entirely different than traditional pies made with a tomato sauce. Aioli is a garlic mayonnaise. While you could add roasted garlic to mayonnaise to make this recipe, I prefer a...
When I was growing up, a special treat was a burger at Bob's Big Boy. It is still one of my favorite memories from my childhood. Unfortunately, Bob's Big Boy closed, and took their burgers with them. After searching and...