Green tea drinks
Green tea is considered as a healthy drink. The scientific name of green tea is Camellia sinesis. Green tea comes in three varieties - green, black and oolong. Green tea, because of its numerous health benefits, is considered as a healthy drink. Originally it was cultivated only in east Asia, but today it is cultivated throughout Asia and parts of the Middle East and Africa. Green tea is rich in catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), which is a powerful anti-oxidant. In recent years more studies are conducted by scientists to find out the health benefits of green tea.
Where to buy green tea
Benefits of Green tea
The researchers suggest that green tea can benefit for the following conditions -
1. Prevents cancer because of its high anti-oxidant content.
2. Provides protection against coronary artery disease and atherosclerosis. (a condition where arteries narrow due to due to fatty deposits within the arterial wall).
3. Prevents rheumatoid arthritis and those who already have this condition helps to reduce its symptoms
4. Prevents infection
5. Prevents from high cholesterol level, increases good cholesterol level
6. Prevents certain types of cancers, (breast cancer, bladder cancer, ovarian cancer, colorectal cancer, esophageal cancer, lung cancer, pancreatic cancer, prostate cancer, skin cancer, stomach cancer etc) and those who already suffer with this condition, kills cancer cells without harming good cells.
7. Prevents tooth decays
8. Improves mental alertness
9. helps in weight loss
10. Green tea prevents Hepatitis C Reinfection In Liver Transplant Patients, according to German researchers..
There are several articles available citing the benefits of green tea.
Preparing green tea
There is an ancient Chinese proverb about green tea. Better to be deprived of food for three days than tea for one. This proverb alone indicates the importance of green tea.
Green tea is made from unfermented leaves of the Camellia sinensis plant., which has the highest concentration of powerful antioxidants.
- Green tea should be prepared in the proper way. Otherwise its medical qualities will be lost.
- Fill a kettle with plain water and boil it.
- Unplug the kettle and keep it for about three minutes.
- Add green tea and keep it for about three minutes. (If the tea bag is used remove the bag and add only the tea)
- Leave it to cool for another three minutes.
- Now the tea is ready to drink.
Earlier only Chinese, Indian and Japanese people were drinking green tea. They have been using green tea in traditional medicines. After knowing its health benefits now it is widely used globally, and has become the second most popular beverage in the world. Green tea is also known as Chinese tea and Japanese tea.
Green tea extracts are also available as capsules.
Other Green-tea related hubs
- The Advantages and Disadvantages of Green Tea
- How to Use Tea to Lose Weight
- Green Tea: Health benefits, side effects, precautions
Green tea has several health benefits and claimed to be useful in prevention of coronary artery disease, development of type 1 diabetes, protection against cancer etc. A recent report showed that it reduced the weight gain. However, precautions are n
Cautions for using Green tea
Researchers suggest that If used in excess green tea can cause liver problems.
Since green tea contains caffeine it can cause insomnia, anxiety, irritability, stomach upset, nausea etc.
Those who suffer from any of the medical problems should consult a doctor before using green tea.
Researchers also suggest that pregnant and breastfeeding women should also avoid green tea.
It is also not recommended for children since there is no scientific report of green tea benefits for pediatric use.
Other health articles of plants
Video on Green tea health benefits
Green tea for weight loss
More by this Author
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.
Lady's fingers (okras) have high medicinal benefits. Find out why this humble vegetable needs to be included in our regular food.
Like any other country, India too has got her own beliefs and superstitions.