Grilled Pork Chops with Carmelized Apples & Onions
What to do with Pork Chops
I had pork chops out for dinner the other night and wanted to do something different with them. As I was pondering over different recipes, my thoughts kept going back to pork chops and applesauce, a meal I grew up with. I didn't have applesauce on hand, but I did have fresh apples! My thoughts of having fresh apples with pork led me to carmelized apples. And what else is delicious after being carmelized? Onions of course! Hence the following recipe.
3 regular sized boneless pork chops seasoned to your liking (I used Cavender's Seasoning, which is an all-purpose Greek seasoning)
1 medium apple (I used Gala) cored, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small sweet onion thinly sliced (or 1/4 - 1/2 of a large onion)
2 tablespoons butter (or any non dairy margarine or Ghee)
1 tablespoon brown sugar (more or less to taste)
- While pork chops are cooking (mine were grilled, but you can pan fry them or bake them - your preference):
- Melt the butter in a small frying pan (medium heat)
- Add the sliced apples and saute' for about 5 minutes
- Add the sliced onions and saute' for another 5 - 10 until apples and onions are soft and starting to brown - don't let the pan get too hot because you don't want the onions to burn
Add the brown sugar to the apples and onions and stir all together
- If the pork chops are not done yet, you can remove the frying pan to a warming plate, or simply cover and set aside.
- When pork chops are ready, divide the apple onion mixture into thirds and spoon on top of the chops.
I served my pork dish with rice and steamed broccoli. The sweetness of the carmelized apples and onions was a delicious contrast to the savory seasoned pork.
More by this Author
Super Stop® Cigarette Holder claims to reduce tar and nicotine and give excellent smoking pleasure. Read here to see if the claim holds true.
Meditation can be used to protect oneself from external pressures or stresses. we can use meditation techniques to protect ourselves from the negative affects certain people or situations have on us.