Vietnamese Grilled Pork with Rice Noodles Recipe (Bun Cha)
Bun cha is popular Vietnamese dish from northern region. This simple dish is combination of a bowl of vermicelli, herbs, greens such as cucumber, carrot and bean sprouts, grilled pork (slices or patties) and dipping sauce, normally nuoc cham (fish sauce).
Traditionally, bun cha as other Vietnamese dishes combine important elements of freshness, textures balance, healthy diets and eye-pleasing presentation. Marinated pork slices is grilled in short time, herbs and greens are served raw, and presentation of the dish is simple yet beautiful. Here is easy and quick bun cha or Vietnamese grilled pork with rice noodles recipe. It is low in fat and sodium, besides easy to fix. Combination of smoky grilled pork, soft noodles, sour pickles, crunchy vegetables, savory fish sauce and aromatic herbs will tease your taste buds to no ends. Bon appetit.
What You Need for Fixing Bun Cha
2 lbs boneless pork, trimmed and thinly sliced across the grain
4 tbsp honey
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 red onion, chopped
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp cornstarch
3 spring onions, finely sliced (garnish)
2 tbsp fish sauce
12 oz dried rice vermicelli noodle
vegetable and herbs garnish/garden salad
sweet and sour fish sauce for dipping
How to Fix Bun Cha
- Use mortar and pestle to make paste of garlic, red onion and black pepper. Or you can use food processor to make a rough and slightly watery paste. Place paste, honey, fish sauce, cornstarch, pork and oil into a mixing bowl. Cover and marinate at least 2 hours.
- In a pot, heat water to a boil. Then add rice vermicelli and stir it gently. It will take about 3-5 minutes or until vermicelli is clear transparent and soft. Remove from the heat and rinse it under cold running water. Drain well and set aside.
- Preheat gas grill to medium-high. I prefer use traditional charcoal grill to bring more true Asian barbecue flavor. Grill pork slices on the grill, turning and brushing with marinate. Cook about 3-4 minutes each side or until they are nicely charred and browned. Transfer to platter.
- Prepare small serving bowls. Distribute pork slices in each bowl, top with carrot pickle and toasted peanut. Drizzle with dipping sauce. Serve it with rice vermicelli, vegetables/herbs garnish and a bowl of dipping sauce.
How to Make Carrot Pickle and Sweet Sour Fish Sauce
2 carrots, shredded
1 -2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp salt
Combine carrot, sugar, salt and vinegar in a medium bowl. Toss it well and set aside. Adjust salt and sugar to your liking.
Sweet and Sour Fish Sauce
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 cup water
6 tbsp fish sauce
3 tbsp sugar
3 tbsp lime juice
1 tsp chili paste (optional)
In a small bowl, mix all the ingredients and stir well to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
More Vietnamese Recipes
- Vietnamese Beef Carpaccio Recipe (Bo Tai Chanh)
Bo tai chanh is Vietnamese style of carpaccio. There are some variants on how to prepare this appetizer. Some people use lime juice or lemon juice, pineapple juice and cook the beef lightly in pineapple juice....
- Vietnamese Lemongrass Beef Satay Recipe (Thit Bo Nuong Xa)
Satay or sate is always on the menu of Thai or other Southeast Asian restaurants. Basically this dish is marinated meat on the skewer and grilled over charcoal flame. There are a lot variants of satay...
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Papaya Salad Recipe (Goi Du Du)
Goi Du Du In Southeast Asia, papaya is available all year around. Ripe papaya fruit is commonly served raw as dessert or snack, whilst unripened green papayas are preferred for cooking. It may be added to...
- Vietnamese Glutinous Rice and Black-Eyed Pudding (Che Dau) Recipe
Che Dau Rice is essential at every Asian dinner table. Every Asian meal consists mainly of rice accompanied with savory dishes of meat or sea foods, vegetables and some soups or salads. I am sure you all...
- Easy and Quick Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe (Pho Ga)
Pho Ga Do you love chicken noodle soup and want to try something new than your regular one ? Then try Vietnamese version of chicken noodle soup or Pho Ga. As we know pho is traditional noodle soup from...
- Easy Homemade Vietnamese Chicken Stock Recipe(Nuoc Dung Ga)
Chicken stock Good chicken stock is the soul of any soupy dishes, yet will makes any kind of foods taste. better. This versatile broth is essential in every kitchen. You can buy ready to use stock in cans...
- Vietnamese Chicken with Cellophane Noodle Soup Recipe (Mien Ga)
Mien Ga Mien ga is lighter version of pho ga (chicken pho). Instead of rice noodle, slippery cellophane noodle is used and giving interesting textures, yet very appealing. This soup is very light, fresh,...
More by this Author
How to prepare Vietnamese chicken noodle (pho ga) at home. It's not as difficult as you think.
A simple noodle soup dish to beat the cold winter.
Craving for delicious fried chicken wings ?. Here is the most easy to fix Chinese style deep fried chicken wings. Every body will just love it and craving for more.