Grilling Tips, Suggestions And Information For Making A Great Grill Cook.
Slide Show Of Grilling And Barbecue Photos , Click Any Photo For Full Size Photos.Click thumbnail to view full-size
Grilling Tips For The Serious Backyard Griller
People used to think of grilling as just a summer time activity but now people are grilling all year round. Once you taste delicious barbecue ribs or a homemade cheeseburger cooked on the home grill you just may be hooked for a lifetime.
Grilling Tips And Tricks
1. You should only add tomato or sugar based barbecue sauces near the end of your cooking time because these two items will burn quickly on your grill and ruin your barbecue. If your going to apply a tomato or sugar based barbecue sauce apply it as soon as you know the meat is done. Let the barbecue sauce get hot on the meat and then remove your meat from the grill. You should never use sugar based barbecue sauce anytime but the last 15 minutes of cooking time or the sugar will burn on the food and ruin its taste.
2. Never turn your meat any more often than necessary. If you have a grill with a lid you can raise or lower the grill lid to adjust your grill cooking temperature. If you use a grill with a lid resist the urger to peek. Keep the lid down and the heat in and your food will cook all the much faster. Also let your meat cook on one side to the point where you know its almost done on that side before you turn it over.
3. Use tongs when you turn your meats over. Never stick your meat with a fork as this will let some of the juices and flavor out. Your meat will also be less chewy if you don't poke holes in it. I always use a set off tongs and never a fork. Let the juices stay in your meat and it will be much tastier.
4. One great grilling trick you can do is to pop the top on a can of beer and place the can of beer on the hottest spot on the grill. The beer will boil inside the closed grill and fill the air with moisture and the beer will add flavor to your barbecue.
5. For the best tasting barbecue use charcoals like Match-lite Charcoal so you won't have to use charcoal lighter fluids on your grill. Charcoal lighter fluids can spoil the taste of your barbecue. So always use matchlite type charcoal when ever possible.
6. Never use a charcoal grill indoors for any reason. The Carbon Monoxide fumes given off by the charcoal could build up in your house and kill you.
7. Use indirect charcoal grilling when possible and when your grill is large enough. Place your charcoal on one side and an aluminum pan filled with water on the other side. Your meat item or items goes over the aluminum pan filled with water. You can add charcoal as you need to so your charcoal fire will keep going.
8. One big secret for cooking meat or fish is that your meat or fish needs to be at least 1 inch thick. Higher quality steaks like Rib Eyes and T Bones need to be cooked with the indirect method in number 7 above. Trim any excess fat off of your beef to prevent excess dripping and possible grill fires.
9. Marinades quickly flavor and tenderize meats. You can tenderize cheap cuts of meat like sirloin and chuck steak with Italian Dressing and it will be oh so flavorful and tasty.
10. When your working with or cooking chicken remember cross contamination. Bacteria is present in chicken and you need to wash up very well all flat surfaces that the chicken touched. Use hard plastic cutting boards instead of wooden ones. Bleach is your friend. Use it to clean any and all items you use to cook with and all surfaces.
You Must Reach Safe Internal Temperatures
Being sure that your barbecue meats especially pork and chicken reach safe internal temperatures is why you must have a good quality meat thermometer. If you make sure that the thickest part of your meat reaches 180 degrees you will be safe. The meat thermometer must be inserted in the thickest part of the meat. And remember to add your barbecue sauces especially those with tomatoes or sugar in them in the last few minutes of your cooking time to make sure your sauce does not burn.
Before you start cooking always have your charcoal started early so the coals will be at the right temperature for cooking when you are ready to cook. Have a spray bottle of water ready in case you have a grill fire. Spray your grill grates well with a vegetable cooking spray or brush them with oil to prevent sticking when you are cooking on your grill.
And remember that you can grill a lot of things besides meat. There a lot of fruits , vegetables , and mushrooms that taste wonderful on the grill and go excellent with your barbecue meat choice. Also don't forget to try items like whole tilipia or tuna or shark steaks.
There are a lot of things you can do with your grill that you probably never thought of. And there are a lot of ways to save money. Keep in mind that chicken thighs can be used for any dish where chicken breast are called for. Just remove the skin and bone from the chicken thighs and beat them flat with a meat hammer. Cover them with plastic while you beat them to prevent making a mess.
I hope I have given you some grilling tips that you can use and thanks for reading my hub page on grilling tips. I hope if you have questions or comments that you will post them below.
More by this Author
How To Grill The Perfect Pork Chop. Here we are going to show you how to grill the perfect pork chop. Plus you'll find some other great recipes that go great with grilled pork chops.
Here we have a recipe for making a delicious slaw dog which is popular across the American south and some places in the mid west. This is a delicious hotdog. Yes it is.
If you want to know exactly how to grow a vegetable garden here is all the information you will ever need.