Guava Pineapple Smoothie
How I Invented My Guava Pineapple Smoothie
One afternoon as I had finished hanging the clothes in our backyard under the heat of the sun, I looked around and was thinking of what I could do to satisfy my thirst. It was very hot, 30 ° C. I could have been freezing at that time and I could have been looking for something warm to drink if I was in Germany at that time in winter, but I was so lucky to spend my winter in the tropical Philippines.
Bananas and papayas were not ripe yet. The coconut was to high for me to climb and no man nearby who could pick for me young coconut from the tree. So I continued looking around until my eyes caught the yellow shimmer of guava hanging over me. I was so happy seeing not only one guava but more than I could consume. With the use of bamboo stick I was able to harvest a dozen of guavas. Delighted, I came upstairs and told my hubby that I would make guava smoothies. I had not made guava smoothies before so I was not able to tell how it would taste afterwards.
The next thing I did was inspecting my kitchen cupboards and my freezer for some ingredients for the smoothie. I was successful and found a small tupperware of frozen young coconut with coconut water. That was the remnants of our last young fresh coconut picnic at the forest. Then I found a can of pineapple juice and calamansi (citrus) fruits, too.
Here is my new found smoothie. Guava Pineapple Smoothie. I hope you will like it.
- 6 medium Guavas, deseeded, cubes
- 2 glasses young coconut with coconut water, fresh or frozen, shredded
- 1 can Pineapple, juice
- 4 pieces calamansi (or 1 lemon), juice
- 3 tablespoons or more sugar, brown or white
Step by StepClick thumbnail to view full-size
Step by Step
- Wash the guavas. Deseed them and cut into small pieces or cubes. Put the guavas in the blender.
- Add the frozen or fresh coconut with coconut water.
- Open the can of pineapple juice and add to the blender.
- Wash the calamansi, cut into halves, deseed and press the juice into the blender.
- Add the sugar and blend the mixture until it is smooth to drink. Add more sugar if you want to. Enjoy!
What is Guava?
Guava is a tropical fruit which is native in Southeast Asia and some parts of America. It is round and sometimes in a shape of a pear. It´s green in color but turns yellow when it´s ripe. It tastes bitter but will turn sweet when it becomes ripe. The skin is sometimes rough and the seeds are numerous in the inner pulp of the guava. Although the seeds are edible, they are not often used in many recipes like in making smoothies. It is found to be a super fruit because it has a lot of health benefits.
Health Benefits of Guava
- Guava has loads of Vitamins like A and B and minerals like iron and potassium.
- It is rich in fiber and pectin.
- It contains astringent and it is anti-bacterial.
- It helps reduce blood pressure.
- Eating Guava is a good treatment for both constipation and diarrhea and some other digestive problems.
- It helps when you have coughs and colds as there are more Vitamin C in Guava than in any other citrus fruits like orange.
Source: Wikipedia and You tube
Thank you for reading. Please leave a comment. It is highly appreciated.
- Traditional German Breakfast
Have you ever been to Germany for a holiday and have experienced German breakfast? Well if not, let me tell you the typical German breakfast.
- Awesome Tuna Sandwich Recipe
Tuna Sandwich is one of the awesome and yummy snack you can have for your breakfast, lunch, dinner or as a snack in between meals. You can prepare this for a family get together picnic.
How to make guava smoothie
© 2013 Thelma Alberts
More by this Author
This article is about my second visit to the largest covered supermarket De Bazaar. It is located in Beverwijk, The Netherlands. It is not far from Amsterdam, around 15 minutes by car. It is one of the main tourist...
Did you have a lot of bananas before and you didn´t know how to use them besides baking a bread or a cake? This smoothie is a refreshing recipe for a hot summer day, which is easy to make.
If you are planning to bring your pet dog to the Philippines, this is the right article for you. This is about how you prepare for your dog's travel to this hot and sunny country.