Guinness Gravy recipe
There's nothing better than Mashed Potatoes, a wonderful roast beef, some green beans and then some rich and thick gravy to cover them all. Over the years I've tasted some great gravies, mostly made by my mom, however, having discovered the wonders of cooking with Guinness, and especially creating Guinness Stew many times, I wondered if it was possible to create a gravy that could be used on any recipe.
After some experimenting I came up with a recipe that works for me; it's very easy to make and is very delicious with a slight bitterness that compliments most meats. You can vary the recipe as you see fit - add some garlic, perhaps a little chili powder, some mushrooms or anything you feel like!
- 1 tablespoon thyme, rosemary or sage, finely chopped
- 1.5 cups chicken or beef stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Guinness
- 1 tablespoon mild mustard
- 1 teasoiib cornflour
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter or oil
- Melt butter in a frying pan on low heat
- Fry onions until slightly translucent - being careful not to burn
- Add thyme, rosemary or sage
- Mix in the mustard
- Slowly pour in the stock and Guinness, stirring - save a little stock to add to the flour below.
- Mix the flour, or corn flour with a little bit of water to form a paste - add the remaining stock and stir thoroughly. (I find that corn flour is far easier to use as it mixes with the water quickly and easily) - if you like a thicker gravy add more flour or corn flour.
- Bring the gravy to a boil and then slowly add the flour mix, stirring constantly.
- Simmer for a few minutes until the gravy thickens
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately
Note, preparing the above way may make the gravy a little bitter - either reduce the amount of Guinness, or add the Guinness to the onions when frying to reduce the volume and bitterness.
- Serve with mashed or boiled potatoes, red or white meat and a vegtable.
- Take some left over meat and add to gravy - serve over hot crusty bread.
- Get your favorite fries or chips and smother them in gravy.
Substitute the beef or chicken stock with vegetable stock, and substitute the Guinness.
Guinness contains isinglass (basically fish gelatin) and therefore Guinness is not suitable for vegetarians. You will have to replace the Guinness with one of the stouts below:
- Alloa Stout - bottle
- Bell's Stout (Various)
- Black Isle Brewery Porter Stout
- Bridge of Allan's Glencoe Wild Oat Stout (bottled)
- Hopback Entire Stout
- Isle of Skye Oyster Stout (bottled)
- Linfit English Guineas Stout - bottle
- Cropton's Scorseby Stout (bottle)
- Dublin's Darcy's Dublin Stout
- Samuel Adams Stout (Various)
- Titanic Brewery Stout - bottle
Other Guinness Recipes
- Guinness Recipes for St. Patrick's Day
On a cold winter's night, with the snow flurrying outside, and ice forming on the windows, there's nothing better than to sit back eating a hearty meal; perhaps a great Irish Stew, or a simple pot roast....
- Steak and Onions in Guinness Casserole Recipe
Here is the simplest, tastiest casserole ever. I love this because it takes all of about ten minutes to do and then you just leave it in the oven. For some reason, the taste of beef and Guinness is a perfect...
- Guinness Ice-Cream recipe
You may have guessed from my previous hubs that I like Guinness - I love the flavor, and the 'heaviness' it has. Guinness Ice-Cream is a treat for me; I think I got into this when one ice-cream maker was...
- Guinness Spaghetti Meat Sauce
This is another recipe 'stolen' from my mother and adapted - out of all of the Guinness Recipes I've created hubs about, this probably uses the least Guinness - and also is good without the Guinness. The...
More by this Author
Mom's Spaghetti Sauce Click edit above to add content to this empty capsule. This is another recipe 'stolen' from my mother and adapted - out of all of the Guinness Recipes I've created hubs about, this probably...
Pork, the forgotten meat, is a mild flavored meat that is enhanced by the use of red wine as a marinade. Pork Chops in Red Win is a healthy, easy and flavorful Pork Chop recipe.
Microsoft Excel has become the standard spreadsheet for most business use, but with it's functionality and ease of use the advantages of Excel can be used at home as well.