Halftime Corned Beef Dinner
Irish Oven cooked Beef Brisket
I whipped up this recipe for the Notre Dame – Navy game that took place in Ireland for the start of the college football season. Began the preparations for this corned beef dinner 5 or 6 hours before the game depending if you want this ready for half-time or before. This is actually very easy to make.
- about 4 lbs Corned Beef Brisket
- 1 onion
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- 6 to 8 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 16-20 small carrots
- 8 whole new potatoes, peeled or washed well
- 1 large head of cabbage
- Trim the fat from the beef brisket, don't worry if you can't get all the fat off. Rinse the brisket off in cold water thoroughly. Lay the brisket fat side up in a roasting pan. Sprinkle the allspice, peppercorns, cloves on the meat. Slice onion and place the slices over the seasoned brisket. Pour 8 cups of hot water into the pan holding the brisket. Cover with a lid or foil.
- Put into a 325 degree oven for about 4 hours or until tender. Pour almost all of the liquid from the brisket pan into a stove top pot. While waiting for the pot to start boiling the poured liquid, mix the brown sugar and Dijon mustard in a small bowl. Once mixed, spread over top of brisket.
- Once the pot with the liquid starts to boil put the potatoes in and simmer for 10 minutes. Add Carrots and simmer for another ten minutes. About this time you want to put the brisket back into the oven uncovered this time and under the broiler for anywhere from 3 to 7 minutes. You want to brown the mixture you have put on the brisket. While the brisket is under the broiler add the cabbage to the pot on the stove and simmer. By the time the corned beef is done so will the cabbage and all the vegetables. Serve with Hearty rye bread, horseradish and bottles of Guinness. Enjoy.
More by this Author
Tips for first time visitors to Puerto Vallarta. Puerto Vallarta is safer then most American cities.
I never realized how important the correct white balance setting was in regards to taking a great picture until I bought my Nikon D5000. Even most simple point and shoot cameras have a WB setting which most people...
Using the Nikon D5000 and other cameras for HDR photography