Health Benefits of Cauliflower
Cauliflower is one of the regular vegetables in most of our kitchens . Many of us use it just as a vegetable without really understanding its health benefits and rich nutrients. Though Cauliflower is grown all over the world it is grown mainly in California. The other countries are France, China, Italy and India. Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable, and belong to the same plant family as broccoli, kale, cabbage and collards.
Main Cauliflower Benefits
The main benefits of cauliflower are anti-toxidant and anti-inflammatory elements.
- Do you know Cauliflower has very law calories which in turn reduces our cholesterol ?
- Do you know Cauliflower has many anti-cancer qualities such as sulforaphane and indole 3 carbinol?These qualities can help to prevent cancers like prostate cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer, ovarian cancer, colon cancer etc, to some extend.
- It contains a lipid soluble compound called Di-indole methane (DIM) which is helping in fighting against Human papilloma virus (HPV).
- If you are looking for rich source of Vitamin C, to fight against infections and cancer by strengthening our immune system, then Cauliflower has it.
- We need B Complex group of vitamins for our health, which is seen plenty in Cauliflower . These vitamins are vitamins B5, Vitamin B 6, Vitamin B 1,Vitamin B 3, and Vitamin K.
- We also need minerals like manganese, copper, iron, calcium and potassium and these are also available in Cauliflower.
Where to buy Cauliflower seeds online
Cultivating Cauliflowers at Home
Cultivating cauliflowers at home is quite possible. Those who do not have a kitchen garden can grow their cauliflowers in the containers on the terrace. For this one should obtain good quality of seeds from the market. They are even available online for purchase.
Some Cauliflower Recipes
We can make several delicious recipes with this nutritional vegetable, such as pakora, thoran, curry, masala mix, cauliflower peas curry etc. Even biriyani can also be made with cauliflower. Please watch the video.
Video of Cauliflower Vegetable Biriyani
Video of a Cauliflower Recipe
Video of Cauliflower Masala Mix
- Though Cauliflower is good in many ways excessive use of these vegetable can harm us such as swelling of thyroid gland (goitre).
- While cooking,it is advisable to immerse the cut pieces in warm water, where salt and turmeric powder is added, for about 10 -15 minutes to get rid of any worms it may contain.
- Since cauliflower contains a substance called purines, people who are suffering from gouts or kidney problems should not use cauliflower regularly.
- People with any medical problems should consult a physician regarding the use of cauliflower in their regular diets.
- Like any other vegetables, cauliflower should not be overcooked.
More by this Author
Lady's fingers (okras) have high medicinal benefits. Find out why this humble vegetable needs to be included in our regular food.
Find out how to make Pazham pori, a delicacy of Kerala. It is also called as banana fritters.
Thinking of adding flax seed to your diet? Find out about the various health benefits of flax seeds, and information about how to use them.