Healthy Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars with Peanut Butter and Walnuts.
Healthy Oat Snack Bars
Rate this healthy snack bar recipe
Make your own snack bars using healthy ingredients.
Snack bars are a good way to add fiber and energy to your day. The best bars have oats for good soluble fiber and complex carbohydrates, peanut butter for protein and walnuts for heart healthy fats.
Adding the chocolate and or butterscotch chips adds in flavor, but subtracts from the healthy nutrition. Add them if you like, but be aware that these additions will raise the calorie and carbohydrate levels.
Home made baked oat bars will keep for a week or more in your refrigerator. They can be individually wrapped to preserve freshness and convenience for packed lunches. Kids love them as they are quite delicious and chewy.
Preparation and Cook Time for Baked Snack Bars
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup peanut butter, crunchy or smooth
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips, (optional)
- 1/4 cup butterscotch chips, (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla flavoring
- 2 cups oats, steel cut or 3 minute style
- 3/4 cup walnuts, chopped
How to make your own healthy baked oatmeal bars.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the butter, brown sugar, peanut butter and optional chocolate chips. Add the butterscotch chips if desired. Alternately, you can use the 8 x 8 glass baking pan to mix everything in and eliminate the mixing bowl.
- Microwave this mixture for one minute to melt everything together - stir well after heating. Allow to cool for a few minutes.
- Add the baking soda and vanilla and stir to mix well and cool the mixture.
- Slightly beat the two eggs and stir them into the mixture. If the mixture is too warm at this point, it will "cook" the eggs, so make sure the mixture is fairly cool before adding the eggs.
- Add the two cups of oatmeal and the walnuts. Mix well. The mixture will be very thick at this point.
- Pat everything down into an 8 x 8 glass baking dish and bake at 350 degrees F. for 30 minutes.
- Allow pan to cool completely and then refrigerate overnight. Use a sharp knife to cut into nine bars. You can also invert the mixture on to a cutting board and use a pizza cutter.
- Wrap each bar in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator. Grab and go!
Nutrition info is for one of the bars prepared without flavoring chips.
|Serving size: 1 Bar|
|Calories from Fat||135|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 15 g||23%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 12 g|
|Carbohydrates 49 g||16%|
|Sugar 6 g|
|Fiber 4 g||16%|
|Protein 7 g||14%|
|Cholesterol 58 mg||19%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
How to choose a healthy snack bar.
- Look for a snack that has around 400 calories. 30 calories either way will not make much of a difference. Too many calories are not good for you and too little calories will not satisfy you.
- Look for a bar that contains healthy fats - think nuts. Try to find a bar with a fat content of about 5 grams. If it is a nut type bar, the fat content may be a bit higher (9 to 12 grams) and still be healthy.
- A dried fruit type bar may not be a good choice as dried fruit is high in sugar and may provoke an insulin response.
- Nine grams of sugars is a fair amount for a snack bar.
- Whole grains give snack bars a boost in the nutrition department. Some examples include steel cut oats, whole wheat or anything that has little or no commercial processing.
- Fiber counts! If you like a sweeter snack, you are allowed to subtract the fiber grams from the sugar grams to get the net sugar grams. That makes it easier to buy a bar with more sugars in it and still keep the net sugar grams down to about nine.
- Read the ingredients list! Ingredients are listed by largest amounts first. If healthy ingredients are listed in the first three to five ingredients, you are good to go. If sugar is listed in the first three ingredients, try choosing a bar with a lower sugar content.
© 2012 Austinstar
More by this Author
- EDITOR'S CHOICE76
Top 10 Best Texas Food Recipes and How to Cook Like a Texan. Chili, cornbread, beans, home fries, Chicken Fried Steak, spare ribs, brisket, frito pie, enchiladas and pecan pie.
The most delicious crab and white cheddar cheese stuffed mushrooms you will ever eat! Bob tested and approved. These make great appetizers or even a tasty dinner. Enjoy them with crackers or raw vegetables.
Discover the methods and meanings behind criminal prison tattoos: An in-depth article exploring the various designs and their interpretations, with photos.