Healthy Beef and Onion Soup Recipe (Flat Belly Diet Approved)
Although this isn't necessarily a quick recipe, it is an easy recipe, and quite good for damp days. However, it's sweet enough and light enough to eat on warmer days as well. I personally pair this soup with a healthy grilled cheese. (Whole grain bread+real cheese (I prefer provolone)+olive oil)
If you're a regular cook, this is not an expensive recipe either, because you probably have the majority of the ingredients in your cabinet.
Extra benefit, this recipe is Flat Belly Diet approved so long as you use safflower, olive, or grape-seed oil to do the cooking with. Pair it with some whole wheat bread to bring the calories up to 400, and you have a meal.
|Serving size: 1 bowl|
|Calories from Fat||162|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 18 g||28%|
|Saturated fat 2 g||10%|
|Carbohydrates 20 g||7%|
|Fiber 2 g||8%|
|Protein 18 g||36%|
|Cholesterol 33 mg||11%|
|Sodium 528 mg||22%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
If you don't normally use balsamic vinegar, then use the left over vinegar in the bottle to make your own homemade salad dressing. It's cheaper, healthier, and preservative free. It also lasts for quite some time.
4 tablespoons oil (olive, safflower, or grape-seed)
8 oz beef tenderloin
3 large onions, thinly sliced
2 teaspoons sugar
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 cups beef broth (homemade, or reduced sodium)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup fresh whole wheat bread crumbs (Put day old bread in a food processor to make your own)
Chives (for garnish)
1. Starting with a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon of oil. Cook the beef for about 2-3 minutes per side until medium rare. Even if you normally refuse to eat meat with any red or pink, it's important that the meat is slightly under-cooked at this point. As soon as it is added to the hot soup right before being served, it will continue to cook normally ending as either medium or medium well. Once the meat is finished cooking, transfer it to a cutting surface. Allow the meat to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing into thin slices across the grain.
2. After reducing the heat to medium add the remaining oil to the oil and meat juices already in the pot. Add the onions. If your onions are sweet then leave out the sugar, but if they're not or if you prefer a sweeter broth add the sugar now. I personally prefer the soup without the sugar. The onions need to be cook for roughly 25 minutes, or until the onions are slightly carmelized, golden and soft.
3. After the onions are fully cooked, clear a small spot on the bottom of the pot and add the garlic. Let it cook there for a few seconds before stirring it throughout the onions and cooking for 2 minutes.
4. Increasing the heat, add the vinegar and bring to boil. Cook for roughly a minute until the vinegar has almost completely evaporated.
5. Adding the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
6. Stir in the bread crumbs and cook for 2-3 minutes until thickened. (Try experimenting without the bread crumbs if you prefer a thinner broth.)
7. Add the beef, garnish with chives, and serve.
Can I Lose Weight Fast Eating this?
A bowl of this soup sits at 310 calories. If you're following the flat belly diet, that leaves you with just enough calories for a hearty slice of bread. If you ate only this soup four times a day, then you should lose weight, but I don't recommend that.
More by this Author
This easy beef barbecue sandwich recipe is a favorite at my house. It's slow cooked, which gives plenty of time to clean the kitchen before dinner.
South Korea is made up of 9 distinct provinces, and among these districts the food varies and grows using natural ingredients and history and a catalyst.
I dropped 30 pounds in three months to qualify for the Air Force, just to have about 10 of it come right back a week later. Here's how to lose the weight and keep it off.