Healthy Fish Recipe: Mediterranean Salmon
Salmon: A Healthy Fish
Salmon is a delicious tasting fish that can be found wild in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans and farmed in many other areas. It is high in protein and omega 3 fatty acids, and can be easily cooked in a variety of interesting and tasty recipes. One of these recipes is a Mediterranean Salmon.
Mediterranean diets include use of olives and olive oil, vegetables such as spinach, and tomatoes, and fish. In my version of the Mediterranean Salmon, I use a blend of fresh baby spinach, sundried tomatoes, Kalamata olives, and salmon fillet.
One of the things I enjoy doing when I cook is combining various 'textures' and flavors, as well as color. In this recipe I like the variation of using the deep red sun dried tomatoes against the rich green of the baby spinach. I also liked the flavor that the Kalamata olives gave off bringing just enough tang to an otherwise mild flavored dish.
I added quinoa for a side dish that was a change of pace from the usual choice of wild rice. Quinoa is a seed that, once cooked, looks like a grain. It comes from South America and, since it contains all 9 essential amino acids, is considered to be a complete protein. It is easy to make, similar to that of making rice: 1 part Quinoa to 2 parts liquid and steamed for 15 minutes.
Please rate this salmon recipe
Photos of FishClick thumbnail to view full-size
- 1 (1 -1.5 lb) salmon fillet, adjust size to meet your needs
- 6-8 oz fresh baby spinach, washed and drained
- 2 T almonds, slivered and toasted
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-2 T olive oil, light or regular
- 1 C Vegetable broth, low sodium
- 1/2 C white wine, cooking or other
- 1/4 C lemon juice, fresh squeezed or bottle
- 1/4 C artichokes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 C sundried tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 C Kalamata olives, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 C mushrooms, sliced (OPTIONAL)
- 1/2 tsp basil, fresh or dried
- 1/4 tsp thyme, fresh or dried
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
How to make: Mediterranean Salmon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If not already toasted, place the almonds on a baking sheet and toast lightly for about 5-7 minutes watching carefully that they do not burn. Place the Salmon fillet in a baking pan and place on the upper rack in the oven for 10 - min. It's important not to dry the salmon flavor out.
- While the salmon is baking put the olive oil in a pan and heat on medium heat. Sauté the garlic for about 3 minutes being careful not to burn it. Add the vegetable broth, lemon juice and white wine and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the seasonings and spices, the chopped sun dried tomatoes, the olives, artichokes and mushrooms to the broth and continue to simmer for 2 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering remove the salmon, (and the almonds if toasting), and remove the back skin. When you place the fillet into the pan to continue cooking it will be skinless.
- Add the baby spinach to the pan with the toasted almonds and allow to simmer for 1 minute before placing the salmon in the pan.
- Place the salmon on top of the bed of spinach and simmer / steam for 4 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
- Remove salmon to a platter. Place Quinoa on individual plate with a serving of vegetables and broth topped with a slice of salmon. Enjoy with a glass of white wine or your favorite beverage.
Please take this poll
Did you know Quinoa is a seed NOT a grain?See results without voting
Ancient Harvest Quinoa
|Serving size: 1/4 cup dry|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 31 g||10%|
|Sugar 3 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 6 g||12%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Southern Italy is considered part of the Mediterranean countries that follow this diet.
Included in the Mediterranean countries that follow this diet.
Also, included in the Mediterranean countries that follow this diet.
Southern France also is included in the group of countries that follow this diet.
One of the countries that is included in the Mediterranean diet.
One of the countries included in the Mediterranean diet.
More by this Author
The Rival Roaster Oven is my favorite Rival product and a 'must-have' for holiday and large group entertaining. It is convenient, cleans easily and frees up space. You won't be disappointed.
Graham crackers are a versatile food-satisfying, a quick snack, and easy to keep. Here are 7 ways to use graham crackers for a sweet treat or holiday decoration.
If you're in a hurry to go out and don't have time to wash clothes, follow these proven tips to make dirty clothes smell clean (and fool those standing near you!).