"Healthy" Foods to Avoid
There are a ton of foods that are advertised as health foods and healthy eating choices when they are anything but. Here's what you want to stay away from !
* Whole grain bagels... Just because something is whole grain, does not make it healthy. This is a huge misconception ! It is still a high calorie bagel. A lot of thing advertised as "whole grain" actually only has a small amount of whole grains in it.
* High Fiber Yogurt... Yogurt doesn't natually contain fiber, despite what advertisers say. What companies do is add synthetic versions that up the fiber count, but these yogurts do not have the same health benefits and nutritional value.
* Drinks with "servings of fruits and vegetables"... This can sound like a good idea, but these drinks lack many vitamins and nutrients like fiber. Plus, they are loaded with added sugars.
* Frozen Diet Entrees... These are convenient for helping with serving size, but they are usually loaded with sodium and vastly processed ingredients. A lot of these meals claim to be healthy.
Health Foods to Stay Away From
* Breakfast Cereals Labeled "Whole Grain"... Even sugary kids cereals are plastered with seals of approval and have check marks claiming they're made with whole grains. Most of these cereals average less than one gram of fiber and have 3 teaspoons of sugar per cup. Who only eats one cup of cereal ?
* Fat Free Cheese... Fat free versions of cheese like Cheddar, American, and Mozzerela contain more chemicals and stabalizers than cheese. They also contain douple the amount of sodium.
* Snack Mixes... Many of these pre-made mixes are loaded with high calorie ingredients like yogurt covered this, chocolate covered that, and fried bits of who knows what. Not to mention the candy or chocolate chips found in many of these packages.
* Baked and Fat-Free Chips... Baked chips sound better for you, and they are lower in fat but they contain more sugar and sodium and almost as many calories as the regular version. The fat-free versions may be worse because of the indigestible additive Olestra.
* Chicken Sausage... Chicken seems like it would be an obvious choice over beef and pork sausage, but the lower fat content of chicken means that there will need to be lots of additives like sodium and sugar to compete in the flavor department.
More by this Author
- 10Symptoms You Have a Broken Pinky Toe or Stubbed Toe, Difference in Shooting Pains and the Healing Process
Do I need to go to the ER, broken toe symptoms and treatments !
It is becoming more and more of a trend to cook and eat organic, healthy snacks. Another thing that is very popular is discovering new recipes for vegetables to make great, easy snacks for children. These types of...
Get rid of your infected tattoo fast!