Healthy Green Salads
Many people get stuck in a rut when it comes to putting together a green salad. A customary green salad, in most homes, consists of iceberg lettuce (very little nutritional value) with tomatoes and cheese. to top it off the green salad is smothered in high fat, high sugar salad dressing.
My goal is to broaden your thinking when it comes to creating a green salad. The first green salad recipe I share is one I whipped up the other day and posted on Facebook.
One of the responses came from a friend saying, "Are you going to share the recipe?" I answered her by telling her that she just inspired me to write a hub.
When I think of green salads, I think about how much nutrition I can pack in a bowl. I also think about presentation and strive to achieve a salad that is not only delicious but appealing to the eye.
Salad Greens (the darker in color the more nutritious) are filled with anti-inflammatory anti-oxidants. We all know the recommended amount of veggies a day is 3-5 servings. There is a reason for that number of servings. Our bodies NEED the nutrition that only vegetables can give it (that's a whole other hub for another day.)
I am hoping to encourage you to experiment with salad making. As you try different textures and colors together you will find that the variety of green salads is endless.
Delicious Green Salad Smorgasbord
Today I threw together this delicious green salad recipe for my hubby and me. Gary saw it and said, "Great Presentation honey," and as he began to taste it he said it was delicious. As far as I'm concerned this is the true test of a keeper recipe.
This salad concoction may look like a strange combination but the blend of flavors and textures is scrumptious.
This is how I put this healthy green salad together:
Organic Herbs and Agave
* Organic Herb Salad can be found in most local grocery stores in a plastic container. I find it in the organic produce section.
* Agave is a syrup type sweetener, approved for diabetics, which can be found in most local grocery stores by the sugars. I use organic agave. If your grocery store does not carry Agave, health food stores do. Agave breaks down in the body slower than refined sugar and most other sweeteners.
- Greens, Organic chopped romaine and herb leaf salad
- Assorted Veggies, Onions, Carrots, Red Pepper and Green Peppers
- This and That, Walnuts, Raisins, Sunflower Seeds and Green Olives halved
- Cheese, Feta and Small chunks Mozzarella Cheese
- Olive Oil, Drizzle over top
- Apple Cider Vinegar, Start with capful and add to taste
- Garlic Salt, Sprinkle overall to taste
- Agave, Drizzle over-top
- Chop Romaine lettuce and place on salad plate(s) or bowl(s).
- Scatter herb leaves over romaine lettuce.
- Chop the vegetables and layer them on top of the salad greens.
- Sprinkle Walnuts, Raisins, Sunflower Seeds and halved green olives over the greens.
- Top it off with Feta and/or chunks of mozzarella cheese.
- For Dressing: Drizzle with olive oil and a capful of apple cider vinegar, sprinkle with garlic salt to taste. Optional: Drizzle agave over all
Spinach and Strawberry Salad
Colorful Spinach Salad
Pack a Punch of Nutrition with Spinach
- Spinach (I pinch off the larger stems)
- Fresh Strawberries, sliced
- Avocado, sliced
- Rings of red onion
- Pecans, toasted
Toss together ingredients to create your Strawberry Spinach Salad. Serve with Orange Poppy-seed dressing or Vinaigrette. Homemade recipe's below.
The dark green color of Spinach makes it a good source of Niacin and Zinc, and a very good source of Dietary Fiber, Protein, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol), Vitamin K, Thiamin, Riboflavin, Vitamin B6, Folate, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Phosphorus, Potassium, Copper and Manganese.
Tomato Cheese Salad
Tomato, Basil and Cheese Salad
This is 'kind of' a green salad. Did you notice it has green basil leaves in it ((smile.)) I threw this recipe in because it's a pretty fast throw together and it is so yummy too.
- 4 - 5 cups of grape or cherry tomatoes, sliced in halves
- 1 lb fresh imported Italian mozzarella, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 cup extra virgin oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 8 - 10 large fresh basil leaves
- sea salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Place freshly cut tomatoes in a bowl. Cut Cheese into cubes and add to tomatoes. Tear basil leaves in large pieces and throw into salad. Drizzle with vinegar and oil. Toss all ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
This salad is attractive and colorful. Place salad in a glass bowl to show it off. You may serve it fresh or cover and refrigerate for up to 4 hours.
Mix it Up
Fruit & Veggie Chopped Salad
- 6 to 8 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 medium pears, chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon, crisp-cooked and crumbled (bacon bits for healthier version)
- 4 to 6 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
Enjoy this Fruit and Veggie salad with a homemade SALAD DRESSINGS:
- Poppy seed Salad Dressing
- Balsamic Vinaigrette
- Olive Garden Salad Dressing
These homemade Salad Dressing Recipes are listed Below
Combine the lettuce, pears, cranberries, pecans, bacon and feta cheese. Drizzle with poppy seed dressing followed by some balsamic vinaigrette.
This salad makes a beautiful presentation. Get fruit, vegetables and protein served up in one bowl.
Healthy Salad Dressings
Orange Poppy Seed Dressing
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- 6 Tablespoons cold water
- 1-1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 4 teaspoons honey Dijon mustard
- 4 teaspoons honey
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a small saucepan, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth. Stir in the orange juice, vinegar, mustard and honey. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Stir in poppy seeds and salt. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Yield: 1-1/2 cups
Simple Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 to 2 packets stevia
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Put all ingredients into a bowl and whisk together.
Olive Garden Salad Dressing
- 1 pkt. Good Seasonings Italian Dressing
- Ingredients needed to make dressing; oil, water, vinegar
- ½ tsp. dried Italian Seasoning
- ½ tsp. table salt
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tbsp. mayonnaise (no Miracle Whip, please)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tbs. white vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp. water
Prepare Good Seasonings Italian Seasonings Dressing as it states on back of packet. The packet makes just a small bit of dressing. Once prepared, pour dressing in a medium bowl, then add additional ingredients listed above (starting with the dried Italian Seasoning). Using a whisk, mix all ingredients until mixed thoroughly combined and pour it into a container with a lid. Mason jars also work well for this.
Store unused dressing in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Be sure to give the bottle a good shake before using.
Get Your Veggies
Get Your Veggies Today
Green Salads are a great way to combine veggies together in order to get the biggest punch of nutrition possible, served up in a bowl. The salads I have shared are some of my very favorite.
As you view these recipe's I hope they will motivate you and stir your creative juices. Think outside the ordinary and create the extraordinary.
Take the first step by preparing a grocery list so you have all of the ingredients on hand. The second step is easy. Put it together and enjoy eating homemade, healthy and delicious salads.
Salad Ingredient Ideas - Handy Grocery List
Organic Herbal Salad Mix
Do You Love Salads?
How did you respond to this Hub on SaladsSee results without voting
More by this Author
People yearn to be loved and seek diligently to find someone to pour their own love into. This article reveals 3 forms or levels of love ranging from a base indulgence to a holy, sacrificial gift.
This article will teach you how to create a messy bun, including instructions and how-tos for different versions of this playful style.
Do you have the gift of Discernment? Do you know how to use this gift to minister to the body of Christ? Learn more details about what the word of God has to say about this spiritual gift.