Healthy, Hearty Mexican Chicken Soup
Do you love chicken soup but are tired of the same old recipe? Here's a simple twist on an old favorite that's full of protein and fiber and hits the spot in cold weather. What I call a "dump" recipe (open the cans and bags and throw the stuff in the pot), this has become a staple in our house. It's very inexpensive, too, at about $1.50 per person for a family of four.
Yummy Mexican Chicken Soup!
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, with juice
- 2 3 oz. cans drained water-packed chicken, or 6 oz. cooked chicken
- 1 15 oz. can mild diced tomatoes and green chiles, with juice
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. salt, more or less to taste
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 16 oz. bag frozen corn
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup brown rice, (optional)
- Heat the olive oil on medium high in a soup pot.
- Add the chopped onion and bell pepper and sprinkle with cumin.
- Stirring occasionally, saute the mixture until the vegetables are soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the rest of the ingredients, except for the rice, in no particular order.
- Stir well and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium low and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Add brown rice (optional) and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 45 minutes.
More Good Food That's Good for You!
- 30-Minute Chili - It's a Snap!
Here is a very simple and nutritious chili recipe that will be ready in 30 minutes. Great for company, the church potluck or on a cold winter day.
- Veggie Ovation for Sauerkraut (Fermented Cabbage)
Sauerkraut (fermented cabbage) is good for you. Find out all about this wonder food here.
- The Pineapple - A Perfect Fruit
The pineapple is a perfect fruit. It is high in many vitamins and has a number of health benefits. Check out this important info.
More by this Author
Should I or shouldn't I go to my high school class reunion? Tough decision but I recommend that you go. Read these tips to ensure a great time.
There are so many things to do in the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, area. There quite a few indoor attractions if the weather doesn't permit doing the outdoor ones. Here are my favorites.
Camping in the Southeast United States offers a variety of experiences, from the beach to mountains. Here are six favorites.