Healthy Homemade Granola Recipes: Low-Fat, Less Sugar and Delicious!
Oven Baked Granola: Basic Recipe
Store-bought granola is too sweet and too expensive for my tastes. It's also packed with extra fat and sugar, so if you want a healthy breakfast, make your own. Plus, homemade granola is so easy to make. You'll save calories and money. So why not give it a try to make your own?
You can adjust the amount of fat and sugar so it tastes the way you like it. But here's the basic recipe:
Michigan Dried Cherries
Michigan is famous for its cherries. This is a good price fox a 4-pound box.
The cookbook that inspired me to make granola!
5 cups 100% whole grain rolled oats, old-fashioned style, not instant
1 cup oat bran
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/3 cup honey
4 Tablespoons frozen white grape juice concentrate, slightly thawed
3 Tablespoons light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Mix oats, oat bran, and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Combine juice concentrate, light brown sugar, and honey in a small bowl. Tip: Use a scale and add 2 oz. honey to juice concentrate and brown sugar mixture. Then microwave for about 10 seconds to soften.
- Stir combined sweeteners into the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add chopped walnuts and mix until evenly distributed.
- Spread mixture on a large rimmed cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- After the first 15 minutes, remove from oven and stir so the mixture bakes evenly.
- Bake 5 more minutes then stir again. Repeat once or twice, depending on desired crunchiness.
- Add dried cherries during the last 5 minutes.
- Allow granola to cool completely before storing in a jar or zip-lock bag.
Other interesting cookbooks to consider.
P (Personalized) U (Unleavened) G (Granola) as in bars, bread, and cereal.
This paperback has some very healthy and some somewhat decadent (chocolate!) versions of granola.
Raw Granola = Muesli
If you don't bake it at all it's called muesli, a famous old Swiss cereal. Use even less sweetener or, better yet, none at all.
14 Variations on a Granola Theme
♥ Substitute different frozen juice concentrates – apple or orange juice, for example, for different flavors.
♥ Instead of oat bran, use wheat bran. Add a tablespoon or two of flax seed or wheat germ.
♥ Substitute or combine any nuts or seeds you like: almonds, pecans, cashews, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, etc.
♥ Add 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried unsweetened shredded coconut.
♥ Change up the spices: Try 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1 teaspoon ground cardamon, 2 teaspoons vanilla. (Some people swear by cardamon.)
♥ Replace the juice concentrate with 1/3 cup honey and 1/3 cup pure maple syrup. (Honey alone is pretty clumpy, but you might try 2/3 cup pure maple syrup alone.)
♥ Replace or add to the dried cherries other dried fruits: prunes, raisins, currents, dates, peaches, bananas, mangoes, apricots, nectarines, or apples, or a combination. Note: the more fruit you use, the less sweetener you need!
♥ Add minced candied ginger.
Other Related Hubs
- Healthy Breakfast Granola Recipes: Easy To Make Home...
This recipe is one of my favorites because it is so easy and it is so GOOD for you. I like to make a double batch and have on hand for our own family for the holidays but it would make a wonderful addition to...
- Eat a Healtier and Organic Diet Using Fresh Foods an...
Ways to add Vitamins and Fiber to our Diet Everyday we hear more about the things that we are doing wrong in life concerning our health and more specifically our diet....
- Healthy Breakfast Recipe: Homemade Granola Recipe
Using a handful of pantry ingredients (or easily found in your grocery store) you can make a healthy breakfast with homemade granola - make your own easy, delicious granola with this recipe...
Pretty Darn Good Granola Bars
- Southern Fried French: March 2012
A South Carolinian’s beau-dacious new life in a medieval château, with recipes.
More by this Author
Wabi Sabi is the ancient Japanese wisdom of finding beauty in imperfection and simplicity in nature, of accepting the natural cycles of growth, decay, and death. Enjoying the simple, natural, and uncluttered, Wabi Sabi...
Homemade salad dressings are better tasting, less processed, and cost less, too. JSParker If you think making your own salad dressing is just too much trouble, please stick with me, because you are exactly why I wrote...
Pork Tenderloin Medallions sauteed in a non-stick skillet. JSParker Pork tenderloin is just about my favorite dinner entree. We have dozens of ways to prepare it from slapping the whole tenderloin on the grill with just...