Easy Healthy Homemade Vegetable Soup
Healthy, Mouth-Watering Homemade Vegetable Soup
By combining colorful varieties of organic, chemical-free vegetables for your soup, you can be sure you are feeding your family super foods filled with antioxidants. Delicious and hearty, It doesn't get much better than this.
If the kids are "picky" about certain veggies, just dice them up into smaller pieces, sprinkle some shredded melted cheese over a small serving. If you like, the soup can be poured over rice or noodles.
A complete mouth-watering meal, this soup can be made in a crock pot or using the stove. Add a basket of warm dinner rolls, San Francisco Sourdough bread or a basket of crackers and you're good to go.
Vegetables Rich in Antioxidents
Rich in antioxidants, this very healthy homemade vegetable soup recipe contains the following nutrients:
- Carrots ~ alpha-carotene, beta-carotene
- Green bell peppers ~ vitamin C
- Canned tomatoes, tomato juice ~ lycopen, vitamin C
- Onions ~ selenium, chromium, vitamin C and contain flavonoids.
- Potatoes ~ vitamin C and full of minerals like Iron, manganese, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and potassium.
- Zucchini Squash ~ vitamin A, potassium, manganese, folate
- Butternut Squash ~ fiber, vitamin E, magnesium, potassium, manganese, vitamin C, vitamin A
- Garlic ~ Vitamin C, sulpher compounds.
- Celery ~ Vitamin C, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
- Olive Oil ~ monounsaturated fats, polyphenols and phytosterols.
- 3-4 cups canned cut tomatoes, organic/regular
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4-6 cloves garlic, minced or cut finely
- 2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 10-12 tiny baby potatoes, whole
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 large yellow squash, chopped
- 1/2 head green cabbage, slaw or chopped
- 32 ounces tomato or vegetable juice, canned or bottled
- 1 large zucchini squash, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
Vegetable Soup Easy Step-by-Step Instructions
- Sauté chopped onions and chopped cloves in olive oil, stirring constantly until lightly browned.
- Add chopped bell pepper and stir for 30 seconds
- Pour tomatoes ( entire can ) into the mixture and stir.
- Add tomato or vegetable juice.
- Add carrots, potatoes, cabbage and squash. Sprinkle in chopped celery.
- Bring to a boil stirring often. Reduce heat to low and cook for 2 1/2 hours. The longer you let the soup simmer, the more flavor is released.
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||18|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 2 g||3%|
|Saturated fat 3 g||15%|
|Unsaturated fat 5 g|
|Carbohydrates 8 g||3%|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 3 g||12%|
|Protein 2 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 413 mg||17%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
A Quick Summary For Healthy Soup
One reason I love this recipe so much is because it lends itself to most any vegetable. Also, substitutes work well. Rice or noodles can replace potatoes and chicken, pork or beef can be added for meat lovers.
As shown in my photos above, I prefer large chunks of vegetables in place of dicing into smaller bites. I also haven't mentioned salt. Here's the reason why. Too much salt in the diet disturbs electrolytes which can cause neurological problems. We need a certain amount of salt but at the same time we must be aware of "over-salting" our food.
By adding your favorite spices such as oregano, basil, chili pepper or turmeric you won't miss the salt. I add 1 cup of traditional salsa to my soup which already contains some salt.
I like to freeze enough soup for those extra busy days when I don't feel like cooking. And when friends are feeling "under the weather," this healthy vegetable soup is conveniently stored in the freezer.
Thank you for being here and please take a second to rate this recipe.
I'd Love To Know Your Answer
Will You Be Trying This Recipe For Vegetable Soup?See results without voting
© 2013 Audrey Hunt
More by this Author
Taco soup is easy to prepare, filling and delicious. With this recipe you may delete the meat. See the section on tips for soup for great ideas.
Butternut squash is a good source of vitamin C, manganesium and potassion. With these delicious recipes you can make mouth-watering foods.
I hate my voice! If you're one of the many people who feel this way, you've come to the right place because you're about to learn why you hate your voice and how to fix it.