Healthy French Toast Recipes: Recipe For Baked Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
Healthy Recipes - French Twist
This is a recipe I cut out years ago from Eating Well magazine. I love it because it is one of my favorite breakfast dishes - French Toast.
It also contains some of my favorite ingredients - apples and raisins. Coincidentally, it also is one of the easiest preparation methods for French toast - baking.
This is a wonderfully delicious, healthier version of a classic American breakfast dish - hope you like it as much as I do!
This is also a do-ahead recipe and can be saved in the fridge for 8 to 24 hours.
Baked Apple-Cinnamon French Toast
Makes 12 servings
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups liquid egg whites like Egg Beaters
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt if desired
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 one-pound loaf sliced whole wheat bread
- 1 cup chopped dried apple rings (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon confectioner's sugar
- Whisk together milk, egg whites, honey, vanilla and salt in a large bowl.
- Cut crusts off 8 bread slices and set that aside.
- Cut up the crusts and the remaining slices of bread into 1-inch pieces.
- Toss the cut bread only with the dried apples, raisins, cinnamon and nutmeg in a large bowl.
- Spray a 9 x 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put the bread mixture in the pan.
- Layer the reserved crustless 8 slices over the top of the casserole - trim to fit.
- Whisk the milk mixture again and then pour evenly over the bread.
- Press bread down with the back of a spoon making sure all the bread is moistened.
- Cover with parchment paper and then foil - refrigerate for 8 hours - or up to 24 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake the casserole covered for 40 minutes. Uncover and continue baking until puffed, set and lightly browned - about 20 minutes more.
- Let stand for 10 minutes, dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Summing It Up on Apple-Cinnamon Baked French Toast
French Toast is a delicious breakfast offering - whether it is for a leisurely Sunday breakfast for yourself, company or part of a brunch menu.
This particular recipe is one of my favorites because you can make it up the night before - up to 24 hours before - then cook when you are ready. Allow 1 hour for baking and you're all set.
Try substituting other dried fruits for the raisins and apples - it is equally delicious. Dried cranberries and blueberries make a delicious variation to the apple recipe.
Adding a bit of chopped walnuts gives it a crunchy and flavorful twist plus more of a nutritional boost.
Chopped almonds and almond extract instead of the vanilla extract also is delicious.
I've also added finely chopped peaches as well and cut back a bit on the egg white. Peach French toast has always been my #2 favorite!
You can also substitute some finely cut up regular apples for the dried apples - just back off a tiny bit on the egg substitute as well - or just bake a bit longer.
Serve this with fresh fruit or all by itself - it is a delicious way to start the day!
Crispy Apple French Toast
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Sources for French Toast Recipes
- Recipes, French Toast - Bed & Breakfast Inns ONLINE
Recipes Bed & Breakfasts and Country Inns on Bed & Breakfast Inns ONLINE.
- How to make Apple Cinnamon French Toast Casserole - HowTown.com
Make cinnamon french toast casserole. Delicious cinnamon french toast casserole.
- Cinnamon-Apple French Toast Recipe
Vegetarian Times delivers simple, delicious food, plus expert health and lifestyle information that is exclusively vegetarian but wrapped in a fresh, stylish mainstream package that is inviting to all.
- Overnight Blueberry French Toast Recipe - Allrecipes.com
This is a very unique breakfast dish. Good for any holiday breakfast or brunch, it's filled with the fresh taste of blueberries, and covered with a rich blueberry sauce to make it a one of a kind.
Eatingwell.com for more recipes
- Recipes & Menus | Eating Well
Thousands of quick healthy recipes for eating well from EatingWell Magazine, plus nutrition information and a free weight loss program. Expert advice on eating right and cooking healthy for kids, for two, for wellness, diabetes, heart health, weight
More Links on Breakfast French Toast, Etc.
- Recipe For Breakfast Pizza
Pizza for breakfast? I thought ridiculous! However, I started making this back in the 1970s and 1980s when my kids were small and found that getting them to eat breakfast was a snap once I found creative and...
- Breakfast Bread Pudding Recipe
Oh yes - this is a wonderfully put together recipe that you can even assemble the night before and bake in the morning. It is much like French toast but then more like - well, bread pudding! It makes a great...
- How to Make Quick French Toast
Use up your stale bread, get a couple of eggs, a cup of milk, some syrup and a tablespoon of butter and you have yourself the breakfast staple we all know as French Toast. It's the easiest of breakfast...
- Egg-free French Toast
Hi, my names is Patty, mom of six, three with food allergies, I also have food allergies, and, my husband? Diabetic! Phew! Sounds like a crazy household, and you are right, it has been full of...
- 5 Tips to Making Better French Toast. Brunch Recipes...
Most people know how to make French Toast, few people know how to make GREAT French Toast! Here are 5 secrets to better French Toast everytime.
- Several Different Ways to Make French Toast
French toast is a great food be it for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. It offers grains and proteins and can be served in several different ways offering you a wide range of options. Be it smoothered in syrup or...
- The "Best" French Toast & Crepes
French toast is a ready remedy for stale bread. After all, french toast (a misnomer apparently) is simply stale bread battered with eggs then fried. French toast is not actually French in origin. The...
More by this Author
This is a great version of a fantastically delicious quiche - Spinach Quiche. This is a favorite offering on breakfast and brunch menus and one of my personal favorites. This recipe is from the Everyday Gourmet...
You can make a jumbo or extra large muffin from any muffin recipe out there. You just have to know how to tweak the recipe in terms of baking time and amount you put in the pan. If you don't have a jumbo muffin pan,...
Stopping your dog from engaging in destructive behavior is wisely accomplished by figuring out the root cause of the destructive behavior and then fixing the situation.