Quick And Easy Recipe For Baked Egg Rolls
Healthy Recipes - Baked Egg Rolls
I didn't think I'd be back writing a food hub so soon after the Hubbalicious contest! To tell you the truth, I was so sick of recipes and cuisines that I thought I might never cook again! Ha!
You can't keep a good cook (or woman) down so shortly after I retired from the contest when it just got to be too much, I did go back to cooking and exploring great healthy recipes. I have to - I have a hubby to feed not to mention myself and store bought is never my choice.
I'm always looking for great ways to bake something instead of frying it. My next quest is to find flautas that are baked and/or chimichangas!
I came across this recipe in a book for diabetics as I have been looking at a lot of diabetic recipes just to see how much they trim fat and calories. It's kind of a neat way to cook and so far, I've made some really delicious meals and snacks.
This particular recipe is from The Diabetes Snack, Munch, Nibble and Nosh Book...150 Quick Treats to Add Zip to Your Diet Book!
I whipped these up in no time last night and even discussing them on the phone with my son who is visiting next week and my daughter and her husband, I got the message that I was making these!
For 1 baked egg roll
Total Fat 1 g
Saturated Fat 0 g
Calories From Fat 13
Cholesterol 24 mg
Sodium 265 mg
Carbohydrate 21 g
Dietary Fiber 2 g
Sugars 1 g
Protein 6 g
Another Way To Roll Egg Rolls
- Bring the point over the filing.
- Roll the egg roll 1 time enclosing the filling
- Fold the sides over the filling.
- Roll the egg roll shut
- Seal the tip with a little brush of cold water
Did you know that you can also roll small burritos this way and grape leaves?
Recipe for Baked Egg Rolls
Makes 12 - Serving size = 1 egg roll
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce (I used low sodium)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon rice or white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil (I used olive oil)
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion tops only
- 2 cups of fresh bean sprouts, rinsed, drained
- 1 cup small cooked shrimp, chopped (I used prawns)
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Salt if desired
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a large baking sheet with the cooking spray and set aside.
- Mix soy sauce, cornstarch and vinegar in a small bowl.
- Add brown sugar and stir - set that aside.
- In large skillet, combine the oil (or substitute more cooking spray), green onion, bean sprouts and cabbage. Cook over medium-high heat for 3 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Stir in the cornstarch mixture and the shrimp - cook 1-2 more minutes - or until the sauce is thickened.
- Strain and drain off the excess fluid - transfer to a bowl.
- Lay 1 egg roll on a flat surface - have 1 corner facing you. Add about 3 tablespoons of filling down the center of the wrapper but leave about 1-1/2 inches at each of the pointed ends free of filling.
- Fold pointed end of the wrapper facing you over the filling - then fold the pointed ends at the sides of the wrapper over the filling.
- Brush the remaining 1 pointed end with cold water. Fold the remaining end of the wrapper over the filling, rolling to make the traditional egg roll shape.
- Transfer egg roll to baking sheet - assemble the other 11 egg rolls.
- Spray all the egg rolls lightly with cooking spray.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 13 minutes or until slightly crispy and browned. These were delicious straight from the oven but they were also delicious today rewarmed in the microwave.
- You can also cool, cover and refrigerate after cooking for 24 hours before serving - rewarm them in a 350 degree oven for 9-11 minutes.
Summing Up Baked Egg Rolls
I thought this was a fantastically easy recipe for a great meal or snack food. You could of course use wonton wrappers and make smaller egg rolls for appetizers.
I was thinking I would substitute shredded carrot for some of the bean sprouts next time as well.
If you don't happen to be able to find fresh bean sprouts, substitute 1 15 oz. can for the 2 cups of sprouts - wash and drain.
Substitute or add jicama or water chestnuts for a more traditional crunch.
Use part pork and part shrimp or prawns for a different meat choice.
Add chopped mushrooms for part of the sprouts or cabbage.
I used savoy cabbage but there are several different varieties of cabbage such as bok choy, etc. as your cabbage.
Add baby peas to the mix as well for a different taste.
In short, I think this is a super healthy alternative to making fried egg rolls. They were very easy to make and even if I had doubled the recipe, it only took me a few minutes to whip it together.
- Cooking With Spring Roll Wrappers Add a Little C...
Buy a pack of inexpensive spring roll wrappers and start playing around with adding a bit of crunchy goodness to everyday meals!
- How to make EGG ROLLS
Ingredients: 1 1/2 cups unsifted regular all-purpose flour 1 1/2 cups cold water salad oil filling (the recipes follows) How to make filling: Finely chop 1 pound raw pork, 1 pound shelled raw shrimp,...
- Cabbage Stir Fry with Egg Rolls
When I was growing up, Saturday night supper was frequently hot dogs or hamburgers with fries, Friday night was fish and chips from Oly Anns, a restaurant and take out place that was about three...
- Delicious and Crisp Microwaveable Egg Rolls
Would you like to enjoy crisp, restaurant quality egg rolls at home? With Kahiki Foods' microwavable egg rolls and EasyCrispTM pouches, you're just a few minutes away from tasty egg rolls with oven baked...
- Lumpia Recipe (Filipino Egg Rolls)
This is a recipe that I learned from my Filipino mother. I love this recipe for Lumpia because it appeals to more palettes than your regular egg rolls that are over packed with vegetables. My mom's recipe has...
- Best Lumpia (Philippine-Style Egg Roll) Recipe
Lumpia is similar to the American egg roll. Lumpia has many forms and variations, but the best for me is the Lumpiang Ubod. The filling is extraordinarily tasty because it is made of coconut or palm heart strips, cooked with ground pork and shrimps.
- How To Make Chinese Egg Rolls
With a few tips as noted below, you can make delicious Chinese egg rolls from scratch. There are just a few tips to remember and I have listed those for convenience before the recipe itself. You can...
Great Recipe and Technique for Rolling Egg Rolls
Recipe for 30-40 Egg Rolls - Could Bake These
More by this Author
Asian soups are light and flavorful and can be made with few ingredients. Try this soup using shrimp, spinach and tofu but don't be afraid to change it up.
Making Chinese egg rolls is a snap if you know a few tricks and tips. Learn how to make the best Chinese egg rolls right at home.
How to get your pet de-skunked, pronto. Foolproof ways to get the odor out after your dog or other pet has been sprayed by a skunk.